The Hidden Mission Forum

Full Version: First nesting box installed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
49 more to go!

[Image: IMG_0224.jpg]

Of course it's on the island!
The Aussie is giving me scale here.
I posted pictures of Wood Duck nesting boxes on a hunting chat forum, and have been getting many responses about helping with the boxes.
So this morning my co-chair and I did a little scouting and located three great locations for boxes. That means next week is gonna be busy installing them, and I have much new help for doing so like Kevin here.
[Image: securedownload-24.jpg]
Kevin PM'd me about the program and came right out to help this morning.
Good recruit. Has jet boat, and a passion to go with it!

Plus, I'm learning today, this guy has only been in the area a year and already knows the river as well as I do.
Has located several 'Honey Holes' (Good hunting locations on the river), and is looking for company to hunt with.

Pick me! Pick me!
All my hunting partners, and his too, can only hunt weekends. That leaves us all week long to catch the best storms and the flights just ahead them.
He can go at will, as his work is done at home on computers, and his wife is a Doctor at the local hospital.
Just love these working wives, and the toys they buy their husbands.

I hope that didn't sound too mercenary?
:cheers2:
Reminds me of the marsh my grandparents had out behind their house when they lived there.(now they have an apartment at one of those "care" type buildings)
They had a bird bath about 1.5ft wide out back and a pair of mallard ducks would come up and the female would take a bath in it. She claimed it as hers, wouldnt let any of the others in it.
Wook, FS, would you care to entertain a little off topic tangent?

You seem like the right guys to ask about hunting. Is it not the case that hunters sometimes shoot large animals up the ass, the rationale being that doing so more or less guarantees the bullet ends up in the heart, and of course the target is far less likely to see the shooter?
It's  possibly relevant to the cattle mutilation mystery : the anuses and rectums are always missing and maybe it's to remove the bullet entry wound. Internal organs are usually left but they are never examined either, perhaps if they were the bullet would be found.

Cattle mutilations all seem to occur in the south western states , not much rainfall and sparse grass and so no footprints. As for why that can only be speculation but perhaps some veterinary pharmaceutical corporation wants to check on some big money spinning growth hormone or vaccine it's released knowing it could be potentially harmful and they want to monitor it's effect on the sly to keep on top of their damages liability. Like  so many other things, a case of following the money ?
People have seen helicopters, not UFOs. What is taken is blood and enough of those tissues very rich in it such as the lips - optimum test material, and nothing more than needed. The plausibility of  human agency using military field surgery lasers has already been floated on the web.

Only just clicked having seen British survivalist TV nerd Ray Mears shoot a Red deer that way with a .308, which is about the largest calibre you could get a Fire Arms Certificate for and IIRC verifiable permission to shoot over land of sufficient area to avoid overtravel for whatever calibre you are proposing using and with  a known population of your proposed prey.
Interesting theory, but I think irrelevant because rustlers would remove the carcass, and joy shooters drunks/kids maybe, wouldn't
care much about where they shot up somebody's property.
(08-09-2012, 12:43 PM)Bigfoot73 link Wrote:Wook, FS, would you care to entertain a little off topic tangent?

You seem like the right guys to ask about hunting. Is it not the case that hunters sometimes shoot large animals up the ass, the rationale being that doing so more or less guarantees the bullet ends up in the heart, and of course the target is far less likely to see the shooter?
It's  possibly relevant to the cattle mutilation mystery : the anuses and rectums are always missing and maybe it's to remove the bullet entry wound. Internal organs are usually left but they are never examined either, perhaps if they were the bullet would be found.

Cattle mutilations all seem to occur in the south western states , not much rainfall and sparse grass and so no footprints. As for why that can only be speculation but perhaps some veterinary pharmaceutical corporation wants to check on some big money spinning growth hormone or vaccine it's released knowing it could be potentially harmful and they want to monitor it's effect on the sly to keep on top of their damages liability. Like  so many other things, a case of following the money ?
People have seen helicopters, not UFOs. What is taken is blood and enough of those tissues very rich in it such as the lips - optimum test material, and nothing more than needed. The plausibility of  human agency using military field surgery lasers has already been floated on the web.

Only just clicked having seen British survivalist TV nerd Ray Mears shoot a Red deer that way with a .308, which is about the largest calibre you could get a Fire Arms Certificate for and IIRC verifiable permission to shoot over land of sufficient area to avoid overtravel for whatever calibre you are proposing using and with  a known population of your proposed prey.
Its unlikely to be lasers. There is no tissue burn. I think its some sort of high precision saw.
Quote:Is it not the case that hunters sometimes shoot large animals up the ass,
not in my family
:SJ:
head shots are best
until parents make you eat the heart and liver
then you learn how to hit the heart and liver every time
under the shoulders behind the front legs
  Dance2
but I haven't hunted big game since 72
Mellow
I have seen to many Dick "buckshot"  Cheney's in the woods
so I tend to stay home during hunting seasons
and If I need to eat
I have a nice 6 point Buck in the backyard who has ambitions on my garden > whats left  Rofl
but I still like to go out and shoot targets
as for the mutilations
it seems to be less in last few years
Dunno
like crop circles
I have yet to see a final answer.
(08-09-2012, 07:15 PM)Wook link Wrote:head shots are best
until parents make you eat the heart and liver

In the brain and not the chest, head shots are the very best. haha

Joking aside, at least with deer, you are supposed to go for the heart. Or at least my dad says that and he used to hunt regularly. Says that hitting them in the head will not always bring them down and they can run alot further, while if you hit the heart, they bleed out pretty quickly.
Quote:
Quote:Its unlikely to be lasers. There is no tissue burn. I think its some sort of high precision saw.

Many of the carcasses are only found after several days decomposition and I expect that they get no more than a cursory inspection, but anything nuts and bolts would have the unbeatable advantage of speed.

Thanks everyone.

Quote:Joking aside, at least with deer, you are supposed to go for the heart

Hence the rear shot , get the heart any other way and you then have to remove an entry wound and the heart  and everything in between to make sure you left no trace of the bullet's path whereas removing anus and rectum leaves no clue as to cause of death.

Yes It does seem to be declining, with no consensus on cause.