Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold fever!
Well, I'm getting it again.
It has lain dormant for nearly 25 years, but as the wife and I are planning a trip to the west slope of the Sierra's for a week or so in about two months, I've been doing some research in the nugget shooting, gold prospecting forums and the effect is like a former alcoholic taking just one little drink!
That's all it takes!
I'm going to fight the urge to invest in dive equipment, suction dredges, and such, and do no more than high banking (dry placering above the watercourse) while the wife does some nugget shooting with her metal detector.
Actually, I'll be doing more scouting for a future trip on this occasion. I have a theory I want to put to the test in the near future, that is in a comparable relationship to something I have already done many, many times over a thirty seven year career.
Moving equipment of multiple tens of tons with hydraulic jacks. Only I'll be moving stones that cap gold deposits directly on exposed bedrock. Modern gold prospectors move boulders in gold recovery, but they all think in terms of winches, and doing it quickly, but on a very small scale, and in a hit or miss fashion.
Hydraulic jacks with enough capacity to do the job can be got on the cheap really, and are light enough for a single person to carry in a streambed environment. I have read the reviews on the following, and they seem to be of good enough quality.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-...66482.html

Hey! For $40 a jack, it's doable! Only weighs about 25 LBs. Even an old Fudd like me can pack those.
It is my intention to eliminate the hit or miss element of prospecting by choosing boulders that are too large to have ever been moved by natural forces in historical times. Those that have a large enough footprint, and have sat in place trapping gold for many thousands of years. Anything, of any size, can be moved by employing enough hydraulic jacks, and I feel this is the key I want to explore.
Not rolling, or lifting mind you, only pivoting or sliding. Nothing that can become unstable!
Wish I'd done it years ago! Bet somebody, somewhere is doing it now, they're just not telling!
So, the words Autumn and Fall are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
Why put in the time on this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...mFBUnoT0Wk
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
Hmm2 Maybe you should invest in a decent metal detector to scope out the presence of small gold nuggets in a suspect area???
http://whiteselectronics.com/
(their forum is under the Information tab)
For the time being, I'll leave the metal detecting to the wife.
What I want to do myself is really based on sound principles of where gold is deposited. I just don't think there are many folks thinking in terms of the monster megaliths.
I don't mind being among the first to try, especially having enough of the basics in two fields to know what to expect.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
But the pay-off could be tremendous!
They are in my world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmFBUnoT0..._embeddedr

a know a Wook miner
Whistle
and fishing to boot
Smoke
hope I get house sold this year
Mango

Never invite a Yoda to a frog leg dinner.
Go ahead invite Yoda to a Frog leg dinner
I watched part of the YouTube vid.  The narrator states something like "they have lost all sense of fair play."  I'd like to know just exactly when they got a sense of fair play that is a necessary forerunner to losing it . . .  Smoke
e4e5Qh5Ke7Qe5#
(01-18-2011, 10:35 PM)Wook link Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmFBUnoT0..._embeddedr

a know a Wook miner
Whistle
and fishing to boot
Smoke
hope I get house sold this year
Mango

good luck to you on finding a buyer for your house wook... I was telling hrm about fsbirdhouse's Sierra gold mining expedition and she asked me to ask him 'why doesn't he vacuum around the boulders v jacking them up?" is that what your suctioning is all about fsbirdhouse?
"Confusion... first sign of a bad relationship-whether personal, societal or governmental"
Tell hrm that I am not going to jack the boulders 'up'. Too dangerous! I'm going to 'slide' them off their current location safely.
Although gold tends to settle out behind big boulders, and nuggets will sometimes be found in front of large boulders, these areas are subject to the current in large storms, and such deposits can be swept away, making it a hit or miss situation.
It's the gold that is protected from the currents consistently, that which has been pushed under the boulders and continues to collect there for eons..... that is my target.
The one thing about those large boulders that is also attractive, is the fact that they are easy to see. You don't have to hunt very long to find them.
Of course, I'd have to be a bit selective about even the big ones. If too rounded, they wouldn't cover enough area at their base to be worthwhile, plus too unstable, they might roll instead of slide. Lot's of things to consider in selecting where to start.
I'm just afraid I might get to the area I want to work, and find nearly every square inch is already claimed. Especially with the price of gold being what it is. That is why this trip will be more research than recovery.
They are in my world!

(01-19-2011, 01:00 PM)Fsbirdhouse link Wrote:Tell hrm that I am not going to jack the boulders 'up'. Too dangerous! I'm going to 'slide' them off their current location safely.
Although gold tends to settle out behind big boulders, and nuggets will sometimes be found in front of large boulders, these areas are subject to the current in large storms, and such deposits can be swept away, making it a hit or miss situation.
It's the gold that is protected from the currents consistently, that which has been pushed under the boulders and continues to collect there for eons..... that is my target.
The one thing about those large boulders that is also attractive, is the fact that they are easy to see. You don't have to hunt very long to find them.
Of course, I'd have to be a bit selective about even the big ones. If too rounded, they wouldn't cover enough area at their base to be worthwhile, plus too unstable, they might roll instead of slide. Lot's of things to consider in selecting where to start.
I'm just afraid I might get to the area I want to work, and find nearly every square inch is already claimed. Especially with the price of gold being what it is. That is why this trip will be more research than recovery.

right... the 'claims'... so how do you find out if a river area is 'claimed'? I have a family that comes back here every year and the dad has got the fever like you do.. don't know if it is Cali he goes to but he's after the gold too. GOOD LUCK! you've got it figured out! I didn't tell my other friends what you've figured out....
"Confusion... first sign of a bad relationship-whether personal, societal or governmental"
You have to go to the county seat-courthouse. They have maps and and records of currently claimed land.
I'm afraid people are claiming ground they have no intention of ever working themselves, in hopes the price of gold will make even marginal ground valuable in the future....if not already!
They are in my world!

(01-19-2011, 01:40 PM)Fsbirdhouse link Wrote:You have to go to the county seat-courthouse. They have maps and and records of currently claimed land.
I'm afraid people are claiming ground they have no intention of ever working themselves, in hopes the price of gold will make even marginal ground valuable in the future....if not already!

Did you ever watch that HBO series Deadwood? It was hard to take as the main character took the record in saying the ef word on it but it was incredibly viable as a history of the gold mining, settling of the West era of a mining town's creation. Deadwood, SD... very very interesting, caused me to do some research on the real Deadwood and that time... oh so crooked, best psychopath won!
When I think of gold rush towns, I think of 1850 San Fransisco, and the music that seems to best capture the mood of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqah1rucy...re=related

Back when old Levi Strauss was tearing the sails off abandoned ships to make pants for the 49'ers, and all was bustle and chaos, and every man was a potential millionaire....at least in his heart!
They are in my world!

Quote:The one thing about those large boulders that is also attractive, is the fact that they are easy to see. You don't have to hunt very long to find them.

Hmm2 ...without having a clue about gold prospecting, I must explore the idea that large boulders concentrate the gold at their bases.
Since water and wind erosion eventually create ravines between the boulders, wouldn't the gold sift and wash down into the ravines instead of remaining at the base of a boulder?
Someone once told me that ants carry away gold dust and store it in their anthills !!!
The area I'm looking to access are the voids between the rough, uneven surface of the boulder, and the equally uneven surface of the bedrock.
Gold is just amazing stuff, once it gets just the slightest protection from the current in a river, there it will remain forever!Cracks, or crevices in the bedrock are such areas, and fines, and coarse gold will collect in them, or under the boulders while the lighter sands and gravels will be blown out.
If ever a large enough volume of water moves such a boulder, the gold is lost.
I am not looking for boulders in narrow river canyons where large boulders may have toppled down from steep slopes and landed on top of materials already in place, but the really huge boulders that were transported by large floods in ancient times where all the materials in the flood were in suspension, allowing the big stones to come to rest on the swept bedrock itself. As such stones came to rest with a strong current pushing against them, it would seem that they would not rely on their stability at that location by the materials that filled in around them as the currents lessened at a later time. Not unless they are sitting on a pile of even larger stones!
Of course I'll have the problem of bracing against two rounded surfaces when mounting the jacks, but those surfaces can be prepped.
It is a question of time spent in the process, against the return of gold recovered. I am relatively certain the gold will be there, but will it be enough? Every boulder will be different.
There is a story of a boulder the size of a greyhound bus that was moved in the American river below Ruck a chucky rapids in the early '90s, and the recovery was about a million at much lower gold prices than we have today.
This was in the main river channel in 30 ft of water, and nothing had moved that stone previously. That is why the gold was still there. I have read the following account several times from different sources-this being the most colorful version!

http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/prospec...3103.shtml

I do not believe hydraulic jacks were used on it! But they will work.
They are in my world!

Quote:The area I'm looking to access are the voids between the rough, uneven surface of the boulder, and the equally uneven surface of the bedrock.

Sooo...you're looking to find some sort of natural sluice structures???

[Image: 3911962361_eb2403f688_o.jpg]
Exactly!
Every nook and cranny.
But the boulder has to have a large enough "Footprint" against the bedrock, that at some point the current can push the gold and 'Black sands' far enough under it that the force of future storms can no longer effect it.
This process repeated hundreds of times over the ages.
Boulder 'packs' of sufficient sized stones that the current has never moved, could make for an even larger 'footprint', but they would present their own problems in moving, becoming unstable as adjacent stones are moved.
I'll be looking for either dry placer areas where I don't have to dive, or shallow, seasonal watersheds.
They are in my world!

Drop Points.
Whistle
Wook,
Glad you dropped in, been meaning to ask you a few questions.
I know you have worked in the mining industry at some time, were you mainly into lode mines, placer or what?
Also If you have suggestions on what I've been posting here, if you think it's wrong for any reason that I've overlooked. Say so!
I know of no one that has moved such enormous boulders, other than the link here to Ruck a chucky rapids on the American, but I also Have moved many objects somewhat smaller in tonnage, tho in controlled circumstances. If you can think of any reason gold would not be deposited where I think it is, Why?
They are in my world!

A thousand years ago, 1985, we bought claims from this guy on the Klamath river. Dove on our 8" dredge, but the overburden proved too deep in the location we selected, and by the end of that summer my career took me to Idaho. Partners moved on to the Salmon river in Calif. and continued on. Maybe still are?
McCraken is a former Navy Seal, and an international mining consultant, apparently has mining schools, (probably still on the Klamath), and probably, like others before him, has found it more profitable to mine the miners! Writes books, and makes videos like this.
But in his day, he was in the water all the time, and had the nick-name of Ounce-a-day-McCraken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8T_YnyKQ...re=related
They are in my world!

"were you mainly into lode mines, placer or what?"

all of the above
to Upper BC and West USA
and Coal> East USA and West
Family had many Mines
plus I and my Uncle Roy discovered Quartz Mt.,Oregon> Silica> GOLD
but I met a woman and found myself disowned>real long story
but yes
I am big into recovery Systems>old fashion are usually the Best
Bucket and Thumb with Dredge and Sluice workgreat
small Gold under 1/4 gram >use a V tray

Save all black sands as they have Lots of Stuff that is worth a lot.
and get a Wook.
Smoke
Many, many years ago I read somewhere that a 50 gallon drum of black sand was worth something like $40,000.
Rare earths and such.

A woman?
Yeah! 26 years ago, a woman pulled me out of the river, pointed to E. Idaho and said "That's where the money is!"

We're still married 'cause I said "OK" Smoke
They are in my world!

http://www.oregongeology.com/pubs/og/OBv22n11.pdf

Wook,
Is the silica at Quartz mountain the same thing that is used in computer chips?
Read like it's pretty pure stuff.
What year was your discovery? This piece said the road was punched into the area and 'some' claims filed in 1957.
Wow! Is that right? You made history.

I hope I don't. Hate to go down as the first man to roll a 100 ton boulder over on himself.
They'd just inscribe the boulder.
"Here lies Birdhouse. He's under there somewhere"
They are in my world!

ya'll don't know it, but Wookie is the resident superhero.

:cheers2:

On a satellite I ride. Nothing down below can hide.
(01-26-2011, 01:23 PM)Fsbirdhouse link Wrote:Wook,
Is the silica at Quartz mountain the same thing that is used in computer chips?
Read like it's pretty pure stuff.
What year was your discovery? This piece said the road was punched into the area and 'some' claims filed in 1957.
Wow! Is that right? You made history.

I hope I don't. Hate to go down as the first man to roll a 100 ton boulder over on himself.
They'd just inscribe the boulder.
"Here lies Birdhouse. He's under there somewhere"

We let Dow Corning in Oregon takes samples in late 80's
at 99.3% silica it was not pure enough for DOW> Breccia Many times by super heated Water
the porous silica makes dam near Earthquake proof cement. Used by Hanna to make Ferro Silica for smelter>burns off free radicals for high grade steel and nickle.

56?> I remember listening to Eisenhower's nomination while we were camping in the caves in/on Quartz Mt. with Uncle Roy
I helped Uncle Roy Survey and register games and later I was there until 68 building access roads into area> Dad had Heavy Equipment Company

Funny thing
Hanna had a !00,000 reward out for Silica deposit
and there was a USFS lookout on Quartz Mtn
Whistle
where as the USFS told us we could not have Quartz Mt. because of the lookout station
but
they(USFS) had located the lookout station on the Wrong Mountain when doing their paper work
oops.

and then I made "Mommy" mad and I had the choice to Sue my parents or walk away
Mellow
I walked.
Smoke
Eisenhower's nomination?

I was still riding a bicycle to school. Would for years to come.

Suing the folks woulda been a tough deal.
Walking musta been too!
They are in my world!

Oh no! I don't believe it!
I've got cabin fever, I've got gold fever, and the wife said "There, there, there now! You'll get over the cabin fever, but I know you'll never get over the gold fever, so we need to find a way to alleviate the symptoms"
So today, she bought me a lifetime membership in 'The New 49ers Gold club' in Happy Camp, California.
Could of tipped me over with a feather!
I've got 70 miles of club claims on rivers and streams to run amuck in. 30 miles of that on the Klamath alone.
We're going in 6 weeks to spend 5 days checking it out. But I already know the area as I spent a summer there years ago.
And this is what we're going to do!
Click on the 30 min video, but it's a dangerous video! You might end up like me!

http://www.goldgold.com/membervideo.html
They are in my world!

Happy Camp is a nice
you should have lots of fun
spent a lot of time there
Smoke
But
take six gun and snake kit
http://www.tworiverstribune.com/2010/09/...appy-camp/
[Image: 1636GiantRattlesnakeHoax.jpg]

I know Wook,
Killed a rattler there on our claims 26 years ago! Not that big tho!
Ain't telling the wife 'til we get there! But she knows they can be about anywhere in the gold fields.

Saw some really nice boulders to work on in the video link.
The area isn't overun with miners like you might think watching the video. Those are work groups he trains, and are about 20 people, so he made his video with them.

Talked to the people at his club today, and they are already highbanking at Savage Rapids. Weathers nice!
Spring run Chinooks should be in the river when we get there too!
They are in my world!

Spring run Chinooks
YUM!

I met more snakes over seas
Whistle
Good Dog is hard to beat when in the brush.
Smoke
you're right about the brush dog, but you do get attached to them, and I'd feel bad if something happened.
After all, she is the mother of my children.
They are in my world!

Whew!

Glad to see the price of gold going back up!
$17.90, so far today.
The way it had been falling, I was afraid it'd drop below a thousand an oz. before I could get into the field.
I guess it still could, but I'm expecting it to go the other way.

Geez Wook!
Wife saw that rattlesnake you posted.
I lied! Told her it was a photoshopped "Wish you were here" postcard.
I'm not sure she believed me.
They are in my world!

"photoshopped"

Once
Dad and Uncle Loren went fishing on the Rogue River
Loren caught the bigger Steelhead
but when the picture was taken
Loren held his fish next to his body
while Dad's fish was held out at arms length
making Dad's fish look twice as big
Whistle

I would think a Collector
would pay big money for a Snake that big.
Cow