Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Starting up a new local chapter of Ducks Unlimited
It's all about preserving wetlands!

We used to have a local chapter of Ducks Unlimited here in Blackfoot, Idaho, but it went defunct 6 years ago. But not for lack of support!
It is a national non-profit organization dedicated to preserving wild wetlands where waterfowl breed, and a myriad of other species live.

We've held two meetings here so far, and things are really rolling along.

Ducks unlimited are known for their annual fundraising banquets, and I'm holding the ball on that one to get things going.
These things are really fun and they usually raffle off about 20 shotguns, rifles, and handguns, not to mention hundreds of duck hunting and other types of gear.
This year I've secured the Elks lodge for the banquet, and of course they will cater the beef and seafood menu in the great dinning hall, and that is adjacent to the bar
which tends to lubricate the wallets.
A good time is had by all, and it's for a very good cause.

I'll probably be the one nominated to build the Wood duck nesting boxes (Experience related reasons if you didn't guess), and the fact that my little hunting group possesses two river jet boats to roam the backwaters and sloughs to install them in the places wild ducks like to nest on the Snake river.
Hoping to get a few up for this spring's nesting season, but most will probaly go up over the summer and fall seasons.
We nominated two young fellas to co-chair the chapter, as they will be it's future, and us older fellas with the local connections in the generation that has the money  (such as is made available from our wives) and time on their hands to do the leg work will support them from the field.

I was looking for something to do with my time in the off season, and this just fills the bill.

So, the words Autumn and Fall are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
Been a busy week on several fronts for me.
Got promoted to co-chair of our local chapter of DU (Ducks Unlimited), and have been beating the streets door to door promoting donations for our banquet in May.
Less than an hour ago, Grandma bought Pa Pa a Chocolate Labrador retriever puppy that I'll be picking up in two weeks.
When we went to look at the puppies, we had the daughter and grandson with to help pick out Pa Pa's puppy, but we didn't get to do the picking. One of the little males chased me all over the floor just wagging his tail furiously, so I guess I got picked by him, and that's the one I got!
I know he's gonna be a hunting fool. I intend to guarrantee it! Dance2
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
After our DU banquet, the committee will be looking to dive right into our nesting box program which I'm hoping to see 50 Wood duck nesting boxes and 50-100 Mallard Nest Cylinders installed along the Snake river sloughs and farm ponds in our area.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/Pub%20419.pdf

Ducks Unlimited likes to foster youth events where 'Greenwings", young ladies and gentlemen 16 years old and younger, attend events where they are encouraged to lean how to build and install the nesting boxes and cylinders while being mentored by adults. We will then bring back as many of them as can be to witness the nesting success in those they installed.
There is a certain satisfaction to such activities that transcends just going into the field to hunt.
They are in my world!

Wow!
Took my little lab out to my Co-chair's house (DU) yesterday to take the dog swimming, and he showed me all the merchandise that came in from the State chapter of DU, Pallets stacked high with boxes full of dozens and dozens of duck and goose decoys, boxes full of duck and goose calls, over 20 shotguns and rifles, wildlife pictures and prints, not to mention donations of every conceivable type from both individuals, and businesses, and more coming in every day.
Our banquet is going to be a real hit I think, folks in our community remember the ones that used to be here, and are really looking to this new chapter getting the banquets going again, and from what I see myself, we are going to top any of those I went to before!
Everybody is going to go home with something far beyond what the tickets cost to come! Believe me, it isn't just a bunch of guys in camo looking to get guns and hunting gear.
There is a ladies table full of Mary Kay, wine baskets, and gift cards for the local fabric store, the wife and I are donating a bear and forest birdhouse, and there will be dozens and dozens of gift cards for restaurants, and services of all types.
This will be a fine time had by all those who attend!
They are in my world!

There are a lot of people who enjoy putting these nesting boxes out!
[Image: duckboxes.jpg]
[Image: vanlaanenwoodduckbox1-1.jpg]
We plan to get as many scouting groups together for our nesting box program as we can.
[Image: imagesCAILTZHS.jpg]
I expect my own driveway to look like this later this summer
[Image: adams.jpg]
They are in my world!

After the last few months of hard work on it, we finally had our banquet last night.
It was a smashing success! Dance2
From set up at 10:00 AM Sat,
[Image: IMG_0101.jpg]
to the begining of the prize raffles at 6:30PM
[Image: IMG_0107.jpg]
They are in my world!

I have been making contacts with several large corps. with local outlets here in eastern Idaho like Lowe's and Home Depot to help support our Ducks Unlimited program of Wood Duck nesting box installations, and although those store's managers are quite excited about helping out, and quite possibly will do so, I may be able to jump start that program in a smaller, but still significant way all by myself, simply by restarting something I thought the wife and I were all done with.
Building our wildlife themed decorative birdhouses!
We donated one of our last two such birdhouses to the Ducks Unlimited banquet for their silent auction, and it was the very first thing to sell at the banquet.
Today, I was told that a fellow who very much wanted it, but was moments too late to bid it, now wants me to build another such (As seen here in middle of table),
[Image: IMG_0107.jpg]
and yet another commitee member also wants one himself. At the prices both say they will pay for them to support DU, that will see us getting the wood and hardware for the first 50 right there!
Looks like we're on our way!
They are in my world!

The first nesting box of many to come. And the rest should be far less labor intensive.

Cleaned out the garage.
Relocated lost tools (all critical, of course)
Then cut out four nesting boxes, and assembled this one.
By this time tomorrow, I plan to have twenty.

Finished and branded!

[Image: IMG_0125.jpg]
They are in my world!

Guys showed up two days early to pour the cement pad for Jake's new kennel site, and other un-looked for company as well, so it cut into my nesting box production and all I got done was cutting out the remaining 19 boxes.
Tomorrow is another busy day, so I'll be lucky to put half the boxes together, but should be done Wednesday.
Some will be installed on the Snake river by Sat!
They are in my world!

:cheers2:
Never invite a Yoda to a frog leg dinner.
Go ahead invite Yoda to a Frog leg dinner
There may not be as many here as in the picture several post above this, but it's all the wood that could be got! [Image: IMG_0130.jpg]
They are in my world!

While our appeal for donations/ partnership in the nesting box program of Ducks Unlimited churns on thru the corporate levels of Home Depot, we are still expanding our efforts at other levels.
Individuals are contributing at the personal level to the degree that I am able to see more nesting box production, but at a level far below what I'd like.
Contacts made today with Pheasants Forever have alerted us to the possibility of matching funds (Dollar for dollar) by the National Conservation Resource Services, and if we meet their guidelines, the Idaho Dept of Fish and Game.
More contacts to make!
However, the fly in the buttermilk remains to raise the funds for them to match.
They are in my world!

Cut out 8 more boxes today.
My friends from the meat packing house came to learn how.

Bitch session over Vodka tonics afterward.

That is what I call accomplishment.

State DU conference next weekend.
They are in my world!

Went to State DU Conference.
Learned a lot.
Won a super gun case and carrying bag. Wife bought a stained glass birdbath with Wood Ducks on it.
I horse traded a fellow for yet another Mojo motion decoy, on a really super deal. Now I have enough.
May not look like much here, but turn it on in the field, and the ducks are drawn in like they're on strings.
[Image: mojo_mallard_2010_drake2_2301_1.jpg]

There was a DU sponsored clay bird shoot at 100 targets on Friday, and yours truly shot a 75 with his new gun, that put me in the top 5 out of 30 shooters.
Love that gun. Like shooting a cap gun for recoil.

The wife and I were in a super mood on the trip home.
They are in my world!

Applause
Don't believe anything they say. <br />And at the same time, <br />Don't believe that they say anything without a reason. <br />---Immanuel Kant
super mood
Hmm2

Dance2
WHAT!
Did I forget to mention the Jewelry I won with the gun case and carry bag?
I won a necklace!
[Image: IMG_0156.jpg]
They are in my world!

Now that the banquet is over, the monthly committee numbers are slightly off in attendance, but this is the basic gang getting all the work done, and planning more events.
Loads of fun.
Starting with Art Mulcahey who you see the back of his head here and going to the left is Mike Batten, Don Thoen, Trevor Mickelsen, Jim Cuddihy, Lisa Rudolph, Wes Rudolph, Mike Fresh, and Casey Rosin.
They all have 'The Passion". It's a real thing!
[Image: IMG_0158.jpg]
They are in my world!

Had summer DU chapter shoot, BBQ, and nesting box fund raiser yesterday at Batten's farm.
Most fun I've had in years.
Put 170 rounds thru "Thumper", and another 25 Thru " The Beast".
Thumper being the 3 1/2" 12 ga. autoloader, and The Beast being the 10 ga. autoloader.
Many a faint heart declined my offer to cycle a round of ten gauge loads thru the The Beast.
Their shame was apparent as they'd cast their gaze to the ground as I held out the gun for them to try.

Of course it was my strategem to intimidate them before the money shoot with clay targets.
I was partially successful in that, and won several rounds.

We had flood lights set up in the Alfalfa field at dark, and the clays would glow an eerie blaze orange red as they catch the light. Really cool!
They are in my world!

At our BBQ and shoot last week there was one young committee member (Son of our meat packer) who was red hot with his double barrel O/U shotgun.
He probably won 7 of 12 rounds in the shoots.
I agreed to go head to head with him next shoot the  committee had, and he said "Name your shoot"
I said "Really?............ Triples!"
That got a roar out of the meeting. Like to see him get three with a two shot gun as fast as the targets go!

Picked up the last of the wood to finish off the 52 nesting boxes we plan to install this year.
Large corporations are really hard to deal with when it comes to donations. They talk a real generous deal until it gets to the corporate level, then they stonewall ya to death.
Little local businessmen are the real shakers and movers, and willing to step forward and help.
Hurray for small town folk, and country values.
They are in my world!

24 more nesting boxes to cut. 14 of those to be assembled.
10 to be saved for a photo op that the committee is putting together for TV and local paper.
I'm not getting involved with organizing the event itself. We have an event 'Master' my co-chair, who is very good at that, and there are many members to help him.
I just want to build.
Already have a spot I want to install several boxes. Made contact with land owner yesterday.

Oh well, out to the garage I go.
They are in my world!

Nesting box event.
Probably only going to make the local paper.

Here Casey Rosin and Mike Batten are branding the box numbers and chapter on the face of the nesting boxes
[Image: IMG_0184-1.jpg]

Here commitee members and 'Green Wings (youngsters 16 and under), are assembling nesting boxes.
[Image: IMG_0185.jpg]

Greenwings were very much encouraged to be hands-on in the program, and are mentored by adult members at every step.
[Image: IMG_0187.jpg]

Everybody had fun, and the kids all had experience with the tools, and very soon now the Wood Ducks will have a lot of new homes installed along the Snake river!
[Image: IMG_0193_1.jpg]
They are in my world!

[Image: 1221048t41h4f78.jpg]

[Image: 1221050t41h0fa0.jpg]

Drool

I brought 5 of the boxes home to install.
I'm gonna need help, 'cause using a post pounder is one of the angles of movement my shoulder just won't tolerate.
The first two (maybe three), will be installed on the island across the street, where I've seen Wood Ducks in just this last week.
I have already scouted out ideal locations to put them, and with an average 12-15 ducklings hatched from each box (national average), some of that 60-75 (from all five boxes) will survive to return to nest year after next, which will mean more boxes will need to be located in the general vicinity.

These are the results of a closely monitored nesting box program in NC.
http://woodiecam1.com/2012/06/24/nest-bo...lts-62412/

We have about that many boxes to be installed this year for next year's nesting season.
They are in my world!

Wife is going down to pick up our local paper.
This morning's edition has the story of our nesting box program, and my co-chair's interview about it.
He called this morning to say he'd already been contacted about selling some to individuals who wish to place them on their property. This is a good thing.
I just need to get some metal sheeting from one of the commitee members to build predator guards on the posts.
Kinda like 'China Hats' or conical discs placed below the box on the post.
Keeps Racoons and other creatures from crawling up to kill the hens and eat the eggs.
[Image: untitled-3.jpg]

[Image: imagesCA8XECDL.jpg]

Edit: I'm starting to get calls from people wanting the boxes too. I may start building more.
They are in my world!

J Cuddihy and I went out to scrap yard today to pick up some 7' metal 'T' posts for nesting boxes.
Got 57 such posts at $1 each. The owner of scrap yard knocked off $2 each for DU donation.
Worked out really well for us.
Pulling all those iron posts out from under the other scrap really kicked me and Jim's butts.
I'm pooped!
They are in my world!

You're doing such good things.  I know you are being blessed for your deeds.  Applause
Don't believe anything they say. <br />And at the same time, <br />Don't believe that they say anything without a reason. <br />---Immanuel Kant
Thanks Val,
I enjoy it.
They are in my world!

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregoni...eding.html
Quote:The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced last week a record high number of breeding ducks, an estimated 48.6 million, up 3 million from 2011 and only the sixth 40-plus million figure since the continental survey began in 1955.
DU is still worried about wetlands being drained to plant more corn for ethanol, and this year's drought, that may see a record number of birds returning North to breed in much reduced pothole country.
They are in my world!

Well, the DU banquet season is under way again. Have already been out gathering donations for Blackfoot's banquet, and last night attended Eagle Rock's banquet in Idaho Falls. Fellow I hunted with last year is a co-chair of that chapter, and Jan and I went to support him.
Won a Haybale blind there, so now I won't have to build a blind this summer!
It holds two hunters, and is about 6ft long. Has straps all over the outside to attach the dry brush to blend with surroundings
Edit: Liked it so much, I just ordered another one from Cabela's so I can seat every hunter I'm likely to have out with me.
[Image: imagesCA36Y85I.jpg]

And the blind then folds up into a pack this size for easy carrying.
[Image: IMG_0547.jpg]
They are in my world!

Been after this Ducks Unlimited print since last May.
Had actually got it on a silent auction at our banquet, but gave it up to a lady who was very upset she'd missed it.
But being a co-chair has it's perks, and as I am the one who has initiated the Wood Duck nesting box program here, I was able to acquire this print.
It now hangs over the fireplace in the living room as of today!
Jan has suggested I build a nesting box exactly like it out of our supply of old barnwood, and she will decorate it exactly like it is here, and place it under the print on the hearth! Don't know what I'm gonna do about the Wood Ducks. Mounting two like those would get really expensive, and of course I'd never take a baby duckling! Wow! Wouldn't that cause a sensation?
[Image: IMG_0551.jpg]
Better appreciated like this
[Image: FULL_20120105131907875.jpg]
They are in my world!

Seven more Nesting boxes went in today, three more tomorrow, three more the day after, and seven next weekend.
Been a marathon building week for me, but I've been serenaded for days by the sounds of Snow geese, Honkers, and Swans passing by outside.
We've climbed into the 40s this week, and it's triggered the northern migrations all at once. The snow is gone but for tiny patches, and am I glad to see it. Jake too!
They are in my world!