Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Starting up a new local chapter of Ducks Unlimited
Last nesting box went in today, eighty yards from two pairs of Wood Ducks on the river.
We have a new, and much better predator guard on all but the first four that went in last summer.
It may not look like it here, but the ground was still pretty frozen 6 inches under the surface!
Herculean effort to pound in the post, even though end was cut to a razor sharp edge.
[Image: securedownload-32.jpg]
So, the words Autumn and Fall are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
Helping Eagle Rock put in the last of their 25 nest boxes.
My trailer at the 7N ranch is in their area, and I was able to get all the hardware, and the help to install three such boxes (But maybe too late for this nesting season?).
Saw Eagles, Osprey, Sand Hill cranes, Moose, Mule deer, Whitetail deer, tons of wild geese, and ducks, including many Wood Ducks, all at the 7N ranch.
[Image: IMG_0586.jpg]
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
The room behind me is full of merchandise I've collected over the last three months, and more, for Saturday's annual Ducks Unlimited banquet.
There are space heaters, fine wildlife art, horse blankets, bags of dog food, a large stand-up gun rack I made myself, sports clothing, riding helmets, a ladies 'Coach purse' that I presume must be rather special (according to the wife), and hundreds of dollars of gift cards from area eateries, and many other vendors.
I am only one of many committee members whose spare rooms are packed with goodies for the coming event.
My co-chair has got the DU 'state package' of prizes stuffed into a 12 foot trailer outside of his house, plus other merchandise packed into every corner he can find in his house. Decoys, clothing, Turkey deep fryers, and God only knows what!
At the moment there are 27 guns up for grabs in raffles, and auctions, and general game prizes.
Looks like it's going to be another spectacular extravaganza this year!
They are in my world!

WOW!
Broke the "I never win a gun" curse.

Jan won a Winchester SXP 12 ga camo pump shotgun, and I won a Henry 22 LR 'Golden Boy'
lever action rifle, plus a big box of goose decoys, 'Ugly Stick' fishing pole and reel, backpack, purses, DU mallard shaped fan (For the 5th wheel), and several other items.

We cleaned up!
[Image: XYP.png]

[Image: tuv.png]
They are in my world!

Congrats!  Dance2
Don't believe anything they say. <br />And at the same time, <br />Don't believe that they say anything without a reason. <br />---Immanuel Kant
Thanks Val,
Just finished unloading a pile of plywood and 2X2s for the next batch of nesting boxes.
Boyscouts asked for 24. Their dime!
I think I'm gonna have a busy summer! I'd like to see another hundred go in this summer for next nesting season.......at least!
They are in my world!

Drool
Sweet
nice Weapons
Dance2
how's the weather
Flipping Nasty here
Dance2
Never invite a Yoda to a frog leg dinner.
Go ahead invite Yoda to a Frog leg dinner
At long last the hurricane force winds have stopped, and today we're getting a foretaste of the summertime thunderstorms, which I like!

Love a rainy day!
They are in my world!

I have always been a proponent of "BUY AMERICAN" when possible, and all of my larger tools have American brand names (Tho I've been fooled by some 'Rigid' tools at Home Depot).

However, if I have to buy a very specialized tool I'm not likely to ever need except for a temporary project like these nesting boxes, I have bought from Harbor Freight.
I just bought a narrow crown stapler/brad nailer for $16.39 on sale there, and I have to say it seems fairly well built, and drives a 1 1/2" staple quite efficiently. Tho sometimes a staple doesn't feed, I'm going to write that off to break-in tightness. Even if I have to live with a one in ten missfire, so-be-it!
Purchased a two year $10 warranty to replace new in box (Plus three month in store warranty), so all told, I won't have to worry for two years three months.
Cool.
They are in my world!

Boy scouts approached me about cutting out 24 nesting boxes for them to assemble as a project, and as soon as this year's DU banquet was over I cut them all out, and today attended their event to mentor them thru the process of building the boxes.
Keeping the attention of forty boy scouts is like trying to hold forty ping pong balls under water all at the same time.
After several hours they did manage to get 9 assembled, and I brought the rest of the components home to assemble myself if none of the scouts can be rounded up to do so over the next couple of weeks.
At least the boxes are paid for, and all will eventually go into the field for the Wood Ducks.
They are in my world!

First success!
Hen in nest box on her eggs.
[Image: firstsuccessHenoneggs.jpg]

An even dozen future wood ducks! Hen returned to nest at once afterward.
[Image: Boxwitheggs.jpg]
Edit:
Recieved further reports of other nest boxes being used by the Woodies after posting these pictures.
They are in my world!

:cheers2:
Attended the Idaho State DU convention in Idaho Falls this weekend.
Nice to have it on this side of the state instead of Boise again.
Didn't win a gun this time, but won some pretty high-end duck and goose calls that run about $99 each, and a really nice waterfowl print entitled 'Windy Water', that almost looks like a photograph.
http://www.ducks.org/how-to-help/art-pac...ness/page3

So I guess we came out alright!

But at the state shoot I was pathetic. Worst shooting I've yet done with 'Thumper'. (Should have had a sip of 'The hair of the dog that bit me' the night before just before I went out to shoot. Well, it might have helped?)
I was teamed with the Northwest Reginal Director of DU who was tearing the course up, and an older gentleman I shot with last year. Then we got back to the clubhouse where most of my local hunting partners were counting up their scores, and found out I was only one or two clays behind them at worst.
I feel better now!

[Image: IMG_0626-1.jpg]
New Co-Chair of Blackfoot Matt and wife, and my old Co-Chair Wes and his wife plus the other new Co-Chair and other committee members at our table made our committee the largest to attend the convention.
Guys in white shirts are upper level officers or former officers DU reginal.
They are in my world!

Applause
Don't believe anything they say. <br />And at the same time, <br />Don't believe that they say anything without a reason. <br />---Immanuel Kant
Had the first of our semiannual clay bird shoots for this year... today.
First, we had a committee clean up at a rather large area many campers use.
You wouldn't want to know some of the things picked up, but along with those came four ticks on the crew.
Nasty things!
We ended up with an overstuffed pickup bed jam packed full....in other words it was a load!
Then we headed to Mickelsen pack, and set up two clay bird launchers and shot those until the pork and beef roasts were ready. Trevor had them in the commercial smoker 14 hrs, and they were almost too tender and juicy to describe.
After dinner, the survivors returned to the shoot.
I think I shot about two hundred clay birds, and am back in the groove. Good feeling.
Wes, and Cuddihy, and I took a short boat ride up the river from the back of the packing plant and checked out a nest box placed this early spring.
There was a hen on her eggs when we opened the box up, and she never ruffled a feather while we each took turns looking in. We shut the box in less than a minute, and she was as cool and calm as could be. Never left!
Kewl!
They are in my world!

Very cool!
I've been really lazy. I should be drilling posts to mount the rest of the nesting boxes I have built, but I just can't seem to get to it.
I am notorious for doing nothing for weeks, or even months, except weekly chores, and then the mood hits.
Jan often has to tell me to stop work in the garage when I finally get it in gear, and I better get it in gear soon as I have a load of things to do.
Posts for nest boxes, predator guards, install all of those, put black flocking on goose decoy heads, put together the camo for my Hayhouse hunting blinds, make sure Jake is getting his hand signal training, and Jan wants some Birdhouses built as she has changed her mind about selling them (I knew she would).
All this has to happen before Sept.
Come on mood. Come on mood!
They are in my world!

New terms coined:  handyman block
"Handyman Block"
Well I'm gonna be pried out of it I guess. Another Scout group wants 12 more boxes cut out for a project of theirs,
and I've had pipe donated for the posts, so I guess I'm gonna have to get busy as soon as out-of-state family head home.
Good, once I start to roll, things happen quickly!
They are in my world!

Had about 16 Scouts and 6 leaders here at the house for about three hours yesterday.
Had to allow them in my one car garage in shifts of 7 at a time.
This group was far more motivated and disciplined than the first group I dealt with a month ago.
They had an outstanding main leader, worked both sides of my woodworking bench, and got all 12 nest boxes built in the time they were here.
The heat was really tough even in the shade of the garage, 96*. I was outside at 7:00 AM getting everything ready for their event, but it was really worth it.
It had been my intent to get the scouts involved from the beginning of the nest box program, and now it's happening as I envisioned, and working out great.
I have cut out 88 boxes to date, and fifty more may not be out of the question before this year's warm weather ends. Once the hunting begins, few will be installed after that, although a few more may be built.
They are in my world!

Another resounding success for the Blackfoot Chapter of DU's yearly banquet.
But..................
We are going to have to change some of the way we do things in the future
We work hard for months ahead of time to put on these banquets, and the members support it by investing and donating large amounts of cash, and by buying raffle tickets ourselves.
Last night it bit us in the butt so to speak.
Jan and I ran the balloon game that had an ISSC Austrian 22LR Semiautomatic pistol as the prize, and Jan won it. That started off a series of committee member wins. Almost back to back, and including almost all the biggest prizes.
Our district rep, also a member of our committee, or his wife, all in committee DU shirts won the next 4 guns.
Jan won a shotgun next, then two other DU members won a safe or gun, then I won a Tristar 40 cal SW semi auto pistol (But after the other guns went to committee members, I had a proxy play the bead game for me, so no one knew I'd won it.)
Then the same committee gal who won a safe before, won another bigger safe as the grand prize.
Then other members started winning more guns that had already won guns, and started donating them back to be redrawn. That may have helped the perception of it all a little, but we won't know until next year's event.
But hey, the general crowd only knew Jan won a single prize, so we actually walked out with three guns, a big box of more decoys, and lots of rather expensive articles we had won because we switched to proxies to watch our tickets.
I don't feel a bit bad!
They are in my world!

Dance2
[Image: 1907338_10152154015214952_2595347161999911909_n.jpg]
Dance2
Took Miss Jan over to the Island with the new TriStar 20 ga. Autoloader she won this spring.
I think she was intimidated by it a bit at first. But it is a sweet shooting shotgun, and toward the end of her 1st box of target loads, she began to hit the clays at last.
What a change of attitude!
When the last shell was fire, I was driving "Miss Jannie Okley" home!
Thinks she has it all figured out now. Buying her another two boxes of target/dove loads, one to take back to practice on the island with on Saturday, and one for the big Ducks Unlimited Committee shoot on Sunday behind Michelson Pack's levee overlooking the Snake river.
Always a fun, fun deal!

Really, really hope she does well!
They are in my world!

Holly Hocks are over my head
Dance2
put up 2 humming bird feeders
now we have a dozen of the little buzzards
Rofl
0ne part sugar four parts water > filtered > boiled
and sometimes the birds even visit the holly hocks
Mellow
have a new tracphone with camera
now I have to figure out how to get pictures to net
Whistle
San Miguel river is starting to clear
Muaha
Nancy is happy
Smoke

Shot gunning girls
Hmm2
Cool!

I don't know about your phone but mine has options to send photos various places, so I just email them to myself so I can put them on the computer.  Mine also has an option to post to FB.  It seems they don't even come with a user guide any more.  If you're 30 or younger you were born with the techno gene and the knowledge seems to be built-in, and I guess they figure we all know someone that age who will help us.  That's pretty much how I learned how to navigate my Iphone.  Smoke  We want to see pics your mountain lair.
Well, we had our annual DU committee sporting clay shoot behind Mickelsen Pack a week ago today.
Temps were really hot, mid 90*s at least, Absolute highlight of the summer.
Wife kept telling me to sit down in the shade, and let the gun cool off......at least some of the time.
Should have listened.........sometimes.
Couldn't let a round go by without shooting with the youngsters. Maybe when I was 20, 30, 40, or even 50 I could go toe to toe, clay for clay, and not feel the effects. I went toe to toe with all of them, all day long. Won several rounds against the best, came in runner-up more times than I can remember.
Paid the price for it that night and the next day, because of the heat.
Not only that, but I finally found out what putting three hundred rounds thru the A400 12 ga in one afternoon would do to an old man. Shoulder was a bit tender for the next three days. Never been sore after shooting even two hundred rounds, but I guess I found the limits!
Sore and heat stressed or not.........it was a hoot!
They are in my world!

[flash=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/v/QSZmV_3Lm_A?[/flash]
Now that's what I call a man with a duck call.
My calls don't work nearly so well.

Did they ever snap to attention!

BTW: That was worth a Mojo!
They are in my world!

Well,
It's about time for the wife and I to start this year's round of DU banquets.
Tomorrow night we'll be in Pocatello to attend theirs'

Hope they've got lots of clothing on the raffle tables.
Beyond that and slotted bags for the goose decoys, I think I about have everything I need for hunting.
Took a while to gather it all, but I'm about there!
They are in my world!

The scouts showed up this morning, and really dove into the job at hand.
Gluing, stapling, and general assembly of a dozen new homes for the Wood Ducks.
Their troop leader pitched in as well (mostly as organizer).
[Image: IMG_1179.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1180.jpg]
Great bunch of young men!
They are in my world!

Blackrock and son Colter just left the house after assembling 8 (Only seven in picture?) new Wood Duck nesting boxes.

It was another good day, wind not withstanding!
[Image: IMG_1337.jpg]

Blackrock echoed my sentiments exactly when stating he'd like to see them at every turn, on every creek and river in E Idaho, and well beyond. He means to finance, and build another 50.

He and son are very excited to know they can make a big difference in the Wood Duck population, and now  the word is really starting to get out in our area, and the scouts are stepping up, as well as many hunters contacting me to see what they can do to help. Some more just today!
They are in my world!

Another young man called about doing an Eagle Scout project.
Looks like just after going to see Cuddihy (Our accountant for last 20 years) about our taxes, I'll be going to the lumber yard for the wood to make eight Wood Duck nesting boxes.
Had a DU committee meeting at the Elks lodge last night, and we're putting together another flotilla of jet boats to do maintenance on 45 or 50 boxes already installed on a 40 mile stretch of the Snake river.
Last night's report from one fellow said he checked about five boxes last Fall, and all had the remnants of last Spring's nests still visible in them. Don't know if they were all Wood Ducks, but we'll be making them comfy for the hens during this nesting season anyway.
It'll be up to them to move in and set up housekeeping at that point!
They are in my world!