Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Search for "Planet X" officially comes up empty (Oh yeah?)
Following the adventures of our favorite feline stalker of TNO's Lol
Mikey's wet dream, 
Michele {lets have sex on planet x} Bannister's progress in post Mikey adventurism,
is taking her off to a nice diversion at La Palma.

twitter account
https://twitter.com/astrokiwi?ref_src=tw...r%5Eauthor

Quote:T-8 days to observing comets at La Palma. 
Fun to consider the requirements for a different sort of observing, 
with a new-to-me instrument

Michele lives on Twitter, and is quite prolific in posting to include quality science links and material.
This is a study on young shaker and mover NASA females and how their lives evolve.
Michele  implores Gangup  and commands people Whip on her twitter account Coffee2

to 
go Hunt  ...   For TNO's  Hi

It is interesting to see the intense desire that she has to search the skies for TNO's.
In some ways it's almost like Stu's crater counting,
but it is a definite step up.
Her intensity in TNO searches --- she calls them HUNTS -- suddenly came to my realization.
It is just like jade hunting or rock hounding for Jade.
It's the undieing drive to find the rare jade --- to find the lonely but rare new TNO in the Kuiper belt ...

Michele Bannister is a TNO catwoman,
and the TNO's are the tastier mice that she catches.
Now she is on her way to La Palma ... to look at comets ... good for her.

the job market for young astronomers is tough:
{twitter}

Quote:Of 6 main people, 
5 of us have been job-hunting, 
then country-moving, during one of my big multi-year projects.

We all were able to land positions, but...what if the roulette hadn't worked out?

She's a female astronomer trying to survive in the space science money pool,
and swimming overtime is a required job description.
You can certainly tell that she doen't have a boyfriend or girlfriend,
{lovers on earth or PX}
between TNO hunting and because she is quite glued to twitter talk ... 
but she keeps up a really good solid science feed there.
thank you Michele.

Then I noticed this up at the top of her twitter account tonight,'
and I followed it,
and came up with a comparison of professional females in the modern world.

At a site called:  
#badlyexplainyourjob

we get to compare Michele - Astronomer  Angel
with 
two female actress - media personalities ----   Naughty

badly explaining their jobs

here in their own words:  

Michele - Astronomer     #badlyexplainyourjob

Quote:I stare at fuzzy dots.
Sometimes they move. 
The best ones are small, faint and far away 

Michele:

https://twitter.com/astrokiwi?ref_src=tw...r%5Eauthor

Caity Lotz   --- LA aspiring actress -- radio personality ---   #badlyexplainyourjob

Quote:People paint my face and put fabric on me,
and I become a person who doesnt exist
Caty:
https://medium.com/@showgoapp/caity-lotz...5c843a7a97

Aya Cash -- aspiring NY actress and media personality  ---  #badlyexplainyourjob

Quote:I fake fuck.
I attempt to create voices for tampons and other inanimate objects.  Rofl
I use a spit bucket for meals. 

Aya:
http://www.theatermania.com/off-broadway...=04mar2017

wellll Hmm2

the last two are definitely high maintenance and interesting ... from a distance ...
however,

I like the girl that hunts for the fuzzy white dots ... with her horn rim glasses on,
and her heated poems,
about the "the best ones that are faint and far away"

I bet she doesn't "fake fuck", or "paint her face and become a person that doesn't exist"
nope,
Michele,
"stares at fuzzy white dots ... sometimes they move ... the best ones ..."

Rofl
(03-13-2017, 12:36 PM)EA Wrote: RESEARCHERS ARE PRETTY SURE THEY’VE FOUND A NEW PLANET IN OUR SOLAR SYSTEM

3/12/2017
[Image: cropped-Infrared.jpg]
It is a pretty amazing news for all those people who are annoyed that Pluto is no longer the planet in our Solar system. The researchers are now much more confident about the existence of ninth planet in our Solar System. Two CalTech scientists, Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown, say the atmosphere of this new planet is completely of hydrogen and helium. As concerned to the size of the planet, it is almost 10 times heavier than the Earth. Science magazine reports that the enigmatic “Planet X” moves in a distant orbit beyond Neptune.

[img=640x0]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_n2LwqtBBBY/WMV1TqFI6pI/AAAAAAAAI5Y/sbyZVdQxrAEoOz1X41VlLAi7DsmlCBjYQCLcB/s640/cropped-Infrared.jpg[/img]

According to Science Journal, the hint of the existence of this planet came, when researchers came closest to the sun and observed the distinctive configuration of six objects. The scientists say that there’s a 0.007 percent probability that the configuration is due to chance, and instead are confident it’s a ninth planet. The recent observations and calculations show that this planet is almost the 5000 times greater in mass than the Pluto.

According to The Associated Press, the scientists are confident that they will observe this new planet directly within 5 years with the help of a telescope.

Question arises here that where did this possible planet come from?

Scientists have previously guessed that there could be an omitted planet from our solar system, with some postulating that about 4 billion years ago a collision resulted in the ejection of a planet out of our Solar system. That collision may have been with Jupiter.

Batygin said: “Although we were initially quite skeptical that this planet could exist, as we continued to investigate its orbit and what it would mean for the outer solar system, we become increasingly convinced that it is out there, there is solid evidence that the solar system’s planetary census is incomplete.”

In The Astronomical Journal, Batygin and Brown described their observations.

This is the second time that Brown has changed the typical way of our thinking about our Solar System.  In 2005, he made a key discovery that led scientists to reclassify Pluto as a dwarf planet.

In a statement, Brown said: “All those people who are mad that Pluto is no longer a planet can be thrilled to know that there is a real planet out there still to be found,” 

http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2017/03/researchers-are-pretty-sure-theyve.html#.WMa6I9QrLvY

Mysterious isolated object investigated by astronomers

March 13, 2017 by Tomasz Nowakowski report

[Image: mysteriousis.jpg]
This artist’s impression shows the free-floating planet CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9. Credit: ESO/L. Calçada/P. Delorme/R. Saito/VVV Consortium.
(Phys.org)—An international team of astronomers led by Philippe Delorme of the Grenoble Alpes University in France has recently investigated a mysterious object designated CFBDSIR J214947.2-040308.9 (CFBDSIR 2149-0403 for short) in order to reveal its true nature. The object is assumed to be a young isolated planetary-mass object or a high-metallicity low-mass brown dwarf. The results of new observations published Mar. 2 in a paper on arXiv.org could help distinguish between these two classes.

CFBDSIR 2149-0403 was detected in 2012 by Delorme and his team as a possible member of the AB Doradus moving group. After its discovery, it was classified by the researchers as a unique T-type isolated planetary-mass candidate. However, due to the lack of convincing evidence supporting the hypothesis that CFBDSIR 2149-0403 formed as a planet and was subsequently ejected, the scientific community does not exclude the possibility that it could be a low-mass brown dwarf.
In order to to fully characterize CFBDSIR 2149-0403 and to constrain its nature, the team has conducted multi-instrument, multi-wavelength follow-up observations of this object. The list of instruments used by Delorme and his colleagues includes the Very Large Telescope's (VLT) X-Shooter spectrograph and HAWK-I near-infrared imager, WIRCam imager at the Canada–France–Hawaii Telescope and NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope.
"The X-Shooter data enabled a detailed study of the physical properties of this object. However, all the data presented in the paper is really necessary for the study, especially the follow-up to obtain the parallax of the object, as well as the Spitzer photometry. Together, they enable us to get the bolometric flux of the object, and hence constraints that are almost independent from atmosphere model assumptions," Delorme told Phys.org.
Besides determining the object's parallax, the follow-up observations also allowed the researchers to derive its six-dimensional position and kinematics. These results indicate that CFBDSIR 2149-0403 is most likely not a member of the AB Doradus moving group, as was claimed in earlier studies, thereby removing any strong independent constraint on its age.
"We now reject our initial hypothesis that CFBDSIR 2149-0403 would be a member of the AB Doradus moving group. This removes the most robust age constraint we had. Though determining that certainly improved our knowledge of the object it also made it more difficult to study, by adding age as a free parameter," Delorme said.
The most important conclusion in the new study is that CFBDSIR 2149-0403 is most probably either a young (less than 500 million years) isolated planetary-mass (between two and 13 Jupiter masses) object of late-T spectral type, or an older (2 to 3 billion years old), metallicity-enhanced brown dwarf, with a mass ranging from two to 40 Jupiter masses. However, the scientists noted that our theoretical understanding of cool, low-gravity and/or metallicity-enhanced atmospheres is not yet robust enough to decisively conclude which hypothesis is true. This is because these physical parameters have very similar effects on the emergent spectra of such atmospheres.
"CFBDSIR 2149-0403 is an atypical substellar object that is either a 'free-floating planet' or a rare high-metallicity brown dwarf. Or a combination of both," Delorme concluded.
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: A very cool pair of brown dwarfs (w/ video)
More information: CFBDSIR 2149-0403: young isolated planetary-mass object or high-metallicity low-mass brown dwarf?? arXiv:1703.00843 [astro-ph.SR] arxiv.org/abs/1703.00843
Abstract 
We conducted a multi-wavelength, multi-instrument observational characterisation of the candidate free-floating planet CFBDSIR~J214947.2-040308.9, a late T-dwarf with possible low-gravity features, in order to constrain its physical properties. We analyzed 9 hours of X-Shooter spectroscopy with signal detectable from 0.8—2.3μm, as well as additional photometry in the mid-infrared using the Spitzer Space Telescope. Combined with a VLT/HAWK-I astrometric parallax, this enabled a full characterisation of the absolute flux from the visible to 5μm, encompassing more than 90% of the expected energy emitted by such a cool late T-type object. Our analysis of the spectrum also provided the radial velocity and therefore the determination of its full 3-D kinematics. While our new spectrum confirms the low gravity and/or high metallicity of CFBDSIR2149, the parallax and kinematics safely rule out membership to any known young moving group, including AB~Doradus. We use the equivalent width of the KI doublet at 1.25μm as a promising tool to discriminate the effects of low-gravity from the effects of high-metallicity on the emission spectra of cool atmospheres. In the case of CFBDSIR2149, the observed KI doublet clearly favours the low-gravity solution. CFBDSIR2149 is therefore a peculiar late-T dwarf that is probably a young, planetary-mass object (2—13Mjup, <500Myr) possibly similar to the exoplanet 51Erib, or perhaps a 2—40Mjup brown dwarf with super-solar metallicity.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-03-mysterious...s.html#jCp[url=https://phys.org/news/2017-03-mysterious-isolated-astronomers.html#jCp][/url]

WHY THE FRACK CAN'T HUBBLE SEE IT ???

Hubble can see faraway Galaxies but can't focus on Inner Solar System ???

I knew it was 'damaged' from the beginning not a 'perfectly' curved one but they made adjustments for it.

Maybe they forgot a focus and aperture mechanism ?

Too far away, and GLOWING like Galaxies are, likely, but Hubble Should do more information I noticed it was NOT one of the various telescopes went looking.

Quote:Vianova wrote:
Michele Bannister is a TNO catwoman,
and the TNO's are the tastier mice that she catches.
Now she is on her way to La Palma ... to look at comets ... good for her.
She's a female astronomer trying to survive in the space science money pool,
and swimming overtime is a required job description.
You can certainly tell that she doen't have a boyfriend or girlfriend,
{lovers on earth or PX}
between TNO hunting and because she is quite glued to twitter talk ... 
but she keeps up a really good solid science feed there.
thank you Michele.

Then I noticed this up at the top of her twitter account tonight,'
and I followed it,
and came up with a comparison of professional females in the modern world.
At a site called:  
#badlyexplainyourjob

we get to compare Michele - Astronomer  
with 
two female actress - media personalities ----   

badly explaining their jobs

here in their own words:  

Michele - Astronomer     #badlyexplainyourjob

Quote: Wrote:I stare at fuzzy dots.
Sometimes they move. 
The best ones are small, faint and far away 

Caity Lotz   --- LA aspiring actress -- radio personality ---   #badlyexplainyourjob

Quote: Wrote:People paint my face and put fabric on me,
and I become a person who doesnt exist
Aya Cash -- aspiring NY actress and media personality  ---  #badlyexplainyourjob

Quote: Wrote:I fake fuck.
I attempt to create voices for tampons and other inanimate objects.  [Image: rofl.gif]
I use a spit bucket for meals. 

Quote:Michele
Of 6 main people, 
5 of us have been job-hunting, 
then country-moving, during one of my big multi-year projects.

We all were able to land positions, but...what if the roulette hadn't worked out?

THERE is the place where we can CUT funding if 2020 Rover doesn't land near Cydonia.

Or is she one of the NO LAND people for contamination?

Shutting down the F-35 would resolve NASA's problem if they sent that money from DOD to Mars Exploration ASAP...imho

Bob... Ninja Alien2
"The Light" - Jefferson Starship-Windows of Heaven Album
I'm an Earthling with a Martian Soul wanting to go Home.   
You have to turn your own lightbulb on. ©stevo25 & rhw007
ASTRONOMERS HAVE OFFICIALLY FOUND A CANDIDATE FOR PLANET NINE

4/04/2017 Ninja

A research has made about an undiscovered planet in our solar system, and the results came with four possibilities.Zooniverse citizen science project consist of this Planet Nine hunt program, it’s been conducted in real time withlive broadcast of BBC. The project was hosted at theSiding Spring Observatory at Australian National University (ANU). It was a big research in terms of the numbers of people, about 60,000 people from all over the world participated in the search, which turned up to classify more than four million other objects including four possible candidates for Planet Nine.

Participants worked using data from Siding Spring's SkyMapper telescope. Brad Tucker had has the leading role, by ANU Researcher, and team agreed with one of the four possibilities regardless of whether. The scientific value of the project was certainly verified.

Other researchers agree with the ANU team's sentiment: astronomer Mike Brown of Caltech tweeted his supportfor the project.

Last year, Brown and his colleague Konstantin Batygin made a discovery regarding this project and discovered that the orbits of a few different objects in the Kuiper Belt were being prejudiced by a massive body. This is the possibility of the existence of a huge Neptune size planet in our solar system far beyond Pluto.

It is a big challenge for astronomers and scientists to prove this possibility in real, with the help of the evidences they have observed.

For one, it is probably 1,000 times fainter than Pluto. The task for researchers, then, is to sift through old data and make new observations.

That's where the crowdsourced project came in.

Tucker said: "With the help of tens of thousands of dedicated volunteers sifting through hundreds of thousands of images taken by SkyMapper, we have achieved four years of scientific analysis in under three days. One of those volunteers, Toby Roberts, has made 12,000 classifications."

The ANU team will continue their search and try to confirm whether or not one of the space objects is, in fact, Planet Nine.

This experience is a proof of team work of people who are passionate about science.

Deep learning and the James Webb Space Telescope are the tools that could one day make this kind of research happen quickly and easily.

http://www.physics-astronomy.com/2017/04/astronomers-have-officially-found.html#.WORWvdQrLvY
Along the vines of the Vineyard.
With a forked tongue the snake singsss...

Meet 'DeeDee,' a distant, dim member of our solar system
Date:
April 12, 2017
Source:
National Radio Astronomy Observatory

[Image: 170412115749_1_540x360.jpg]
Artist concept of the planetary body 2014 UZ224, more informally known as DeeDee. ALMA was able to observe the faint millimeter-wavelength "glow" emitted by the object, confirming it is roughly 635 kilometers across. At this size, DeeDee should have enough mass to be spherical, the criteria necessary for astronomers to consider it a dwarf planet, though it has yet to receive that official designation.
[i]Credit: Alexandra Angelich (NRAO/AUI/NSF)[/i]

[i]Using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), astronomers have revealed extraordinary details about a recently discovered far-flung member of our solar system, the planetary body 2014 UZ224, more informally known as DeeDee.
[/i]

At about three times the current distance of Pluto from the Sun, DeeDee is the second most distant known trans-Neptunian object (TNO) with a confirmed orbit, surpassed only by the dwarf planet Eris. Astronomers estimate that there are tens-of-thousands of these icy bodies in the outer solar system beyond the orbit of Neptune.
The new ALMA data reveal, for the first time, that DeeDee is roughly 635 kilometers across, or about two-thirds the diameter of the dwarf planet Ceres, the largest member of our asteroid belt. At this size, DeeDee should have enough mass to be spherical, the criteria necessary for astronomers to consider it a dwarf planet, though it has yet to receive that official designation.
"Far beyond Pluto is a region surprisingly rich with planetary bodies. Some are quite small but others have sizes to rival Pluto, and could possibly be much larger," said David Gerdes, a scientist with the University of Michigan and lead author on a paper appearing in the Astrophysical Journal Letters. "Because these objects are so distant and dim, it's incredibly difficult to even detect them, let alone study them in any detail. ALMA, however, has unique capabilities that enabled us to learn exciting details about these distant worlds."
Currently, DeeDee is about 92 astronomical units (AU) from the Sun. An astronomical unit is the average distance from Earth to the Sun, or about 150 million kilometers. At this tremendous distance, it takes DeeDee more than 1,100 years to complete one orbit. Light from DeeDee takes nearly 13 hours to reach Earth.
Gerdes and his team announced the discovery of DeeDee in the fall of 2016. They found it using the 4-meter Blanco telescope at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile as part of ongoing observations for the Dark Energy Survey, an optical survey of about 12 percent of the sky that seeks to understand the as-yet mysterious force that is accelerating the expansion of the universe.
The Dark Energy Survey produces vast troves of astronomical images, which give astronomers the opportunity to also search for distant solar system objects. The initial search, which includes nearly 15,000 images, identified more than 1.1 billion candidate objects. The vast majority of these turned out to be background stars and even more distant galaxies. A small fraction, however, were observed to move slowly across the sky over successive observations, the telltale sign of a TNO.
One such object was identified on 12 separate images. The astronomers informally dubbed it DeeDee, which is short for Distant Dwarf.
The optical data from the Blanco telescope enabled the astronomers to measure DeeDee's distance and orbital properties, but they were unable to determine its size or other physical characteristics. It was possible that DeeDee was a relatively small member of our solar system, yet reflective enough to be detected from Earth. Or, it could be uncommonly large and dark, reflecting only a tiny portion of the feeble sunlight that reaches it; both scenarios would produce identical optical data.
Since ALMA observes the cold, dark universe, it is able to detect the heat -- in the form of millimeter-wavelength light -- emitted naturally by cold objects in space. The heat signature from a distant solar system object would be directly proportional to its size.
"We calculated that this object would be incredibly cold, only about 30 degrees Kelvin, just a little above absolute zero," said Gerdes.
While the reflected visible light from DeeDee is only about as bright as a candle seen halfway the distance to the moon, ALMA was able to quickly home in on the planetary body's heat signature and measure its brightness in millimeter-wavelength light.
This allowed astronomers to determine that it reflects only about 13 percent of the sunlight that hits it. That is about the same reflectivity of the dry dirt found on a baseball infield.
By comparing these ALMA observations to the earlier optical data, the astronomers had the information necessary to calculate the object's size. "ALMA picked it up fairly easily," said Gerdes. "We were then able to resolve the ambiguity we had with the optical data alone."
Objects like DeeDee are cosmic leftovers from the formation of the solar system. Their orbits and physical properties reveal important details about the formation of planets, including Earth.

This discovery is also exciting because it shows that it is possible to detect very distant, slowly moving objects in our own solar system. The researchers note that these same techniques could be used to detect the hypothesized "Planet Nine" that may reside far beyond DeeDee and Eris.
"There are still new worlds to discover in our own cosmic backyard," concludes Gerdes. "The solar system is a rich and complicated place."

Journal Reference:

1. D. W. Gerdes, M. Sako, S. Hamilton, K. Zhang, T. Khain, J. C. Becker, J. Annis, W. Wester, G. M. Bernstein, C. Scheibner, L. Zullo, F. Adams, E. Bergin, A. R. Walker, J. H. Mueller, T. M. C. Abbott, F. B. Abdalla, S. Allam, K. Bechtol, A. Benoit-Lévy, E. Bertin, D. Brooks, D. L. Burke, A. Carnero Rosell, M. Carrasco Kind, J. Carretero, C. E. Cunha, L. N. da Costa, S. Desai, H. T. Diehl, T. F. Eifler, B. Flaugher, J. Frieman, J. García-Bellido, E. Gaztanaga, D. A. Goldstein, D. Gruen, J. Gschwend, G. Gutierrez, K. Honscheid, D. J. James, S. Kent, E. Krause, K. Kuehn, N. Kuropatkin, O. Lahav, T. S. Li, M. A. G. Maia, M. March, J. L. Marshall, P. Martini, F. Menanteau, R. Miquel, R. C. Nichol, A. A. Plazas, A. K. Romer, A. Roodman, E. Sanchez, I. Sevilla-Noarbe, M. Smith, R. C. Smith, M. Soares-Santos, F. Sobreira, E. Suchyta, M. E. C. Swanson, G. Tarle, D. L. Tucker, Y. Zhang. Discovery and Physical Characterization of a Large Scattered Disk Object at 92 auThe Astrophysical Journal, 2017; 839 (1): L15 DOI: 10.3847/2041-8213/aa64d8

[i]National Radio Astronomy Observatory. "Meet 'DeeDee,' a distant, dim member of our solar system." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 12 April 2017. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170412115749.htm>.[/i]
635 km diamter ... not bad.

Quote:"Far beyond Pluto is a region surprisingly rich with planetary bodies. 
Some are quite small 
but others have sizes to rival Pluto, 
and could possibly be much larger," 
said David Gerdes, a scientist with the University of Michigan and lead author

The statement in bold print above is meant to have broad implications.
There may be hundreds of dwarf planets like "DeeDee" out there,
and from that premise to "possibly much larger",
by the dozens, 
with a handful of Neptunes and <---> and maybe a Big Kahuna. ... or two.

The door is wide open now.
No more Mikey tiptoes through the TNO's.
Comet hive in the Oort cloud and a space nursery of icy dwarf planets,
with Damned surprises galore.

garbage in
bitch slap
garbage out

our femme fatale posing poet, ... thinks she knows it, ...  so she crows it Whip

itza whole lotta caw caw {ca ca}

Miss  Michele "lets have sex on Planet X"  Bannister  -- aka -- Mikey's wet dream Banana_hump

has authored a negative Tp  review on Planet Nine.

she was paid to write this  Naughty

she is now the official NASA disinformation Pimp stooge on Planet 9 10 11 12 13 

https://theconversation.com/our-discover...-all-75656
Our discovery of a minor planet beyond Neptune
shows there might not be a ‘Planet Nine’ after all  Rofl

Quote:garbage in
bitch slap
garbage out

Michele is trying to say that she needs a new Mikey.
Someone with a bigger and better Planet Nine.
yep

Quote:However, diffusion won’t explain the distant orbit of Sedna, 
which has its closest point too far out from Neptune for it to change its orbit’s shape. 

that's her con-venient dis-claimer at the end of the art-icle  Slap2

Michele "lets have sex Hi  on Planet X" Bannister  ---   Mikey

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/ancient-pa...oes-exist/
Never invite a Yoda to a frog leg dinner.
Go ahead invite Yoda to a Frog leg dinner
http://www.messagetoeagle.com/deedee-gia...ar-system/

Bob... Ninja Alien2
Our female astronomer personality in the Planet Nine Mikey Brown epic,
Michele "lets have sex on Planet X" Bannister,
received the distinguished award,

an asteroid  Alien2
was named after her  Holycowsmile

inter Hmm2 esting 

The article doesn't say who awarded this or why ... and Michele is not divulging,
but I bet that Mikey Whip
was influential in the processing.

It was actually discovered 38 years ago ... but they decided to name it after Michele.  Hi

http://www.stuff.co.nz/science/91680393/...-bannister
Quote:The 31-year-old's astronomical honour was announced last week 
at the 
Asteroids, Comets, Meteors meeting, 
which is an international conference for scientists who study small bodies.

"It only happens every three years," Bannister said.
"But I wasn't there this year."

Asteroid (10463) Bannister Banana_hump
was discovered 38 years ago 
at the Siding Spring Observatory in New South Wales by Eleanor Hallam.

"She was a pioneer of the field I work in actually," Bannister said.

"So I'm particularly honoured they chose this one for me."

Details on how scientists are chosen for the accolade are foggy, Bannister said, and she could not say why the award was received.

"Only five per cent of the numbered asteroids have been named," she said.

"It's an honour you don't see coming. 
It can happen at any point of your career and I'm honoured to have received mine so early."

While an asteroid naming is a prestigious credit to a scientist's contribution, 
Bannister said she has "a lot of work to do yet".

Though the orbiting rock is located in the main part of the asteroid belt, 
Bannister said her asteroid had actually been discovered numerous times.

"Depending on how strange the orbit, it could take years to get it precise.
"Sometimes, they get lost and re-found."

(10463) Bannister was rediscovered mid-September 1991 and then again late February 1997.

"It's in the part of the sky where most people look to for new discoveries," she said.

I await one of her poems on this asteroid.

Michele's "spacesuit poem" ... titled Seamstress 

http://stonetelling.com/issue7-mar2012/b...tress.html

I liked this passage as she can subtly heat up a poem 

Quote:This piecing for the curve of your hips; 
this for the arch of your back.
Now the fiddly seams around the bust; 
a crease 
is eighteen hours of torment.

then the inevitable ending somewhere at the edge of a DMT daydream

Quote:This stitch will lie next to your heart;
in silken metal 
I add the dogwood-petal circuits your grandmother loved.
But for the gloves, 
grass-green and gold, 
I embroider all the flowers of our garden —

It is the aluminised gleam that catches in my eye. 
So bright,
as acrid as the glare,
when you see that first sunrise from orbit; 
they say the glory of that thin layer of lightning-quilted atmosphere, 
excruciating blue,
is heartbreaking.

Applause

Asteroid 10463 Sweetheart Bannister

The lonely asteroid with a pretty smile in a poetically wonky orbit.

Unseen 'planetary mass object' signalled by warped Kuiper Belt
June 22, 2017 by Daniel Stolte

[Image: unseenplanet.png]
A yet to be discovered, unseen "planetary mass object" makes its existence known by ruffling the orbital plane of distant Kuiper Belt objects, according to research by Kat Volk and Renu Malhotra of the UA's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory. The object is pictured on a wide orbit far beyond Pluto in this artist's illustration. Credit: Heather Roper/LPL
An unknown, unseen "planetary mass object" may lurk in the outer reaches of our solar system, according to new research on the orbits of minor planets to be published in the Astronomical Journal. This object would be different from—and much closer than—the so-called Planet Nine, a planet whose existence yet awaits confirmation.

In the paper, Kat Volk and Renu Malhotra of the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, or LPL, present compelling evidence of a yet-to-be- discovered planetary body with a mass somewhere between that of Mars and Earth. The mysterious mass, the authors show, has given away its presence—for now—only by controlling the orbital planes of a population of space rocks known as Kuiper Belt objects, or KBOs, in the icy outskirts of the solar system.
While most KBOs—debris left over from the formation of the solar system—orbit the sun with orbital tilts (inclinations) that average out to what planetary scientists call the invariable plane of the solar system, the most distant of the Kuiper Belt's objects do not. Their average plane, Volk and Malhotra discovered, is tilted away from the invariable plane by about eight degrees. In other words, something unknown is warping the average orbital plane of the outer solar system.
"The most likely explanation for our results is that there is some unseen mass," says Volk, a postdoctoral fellow at LPL and the lead author of the study. "According to our calculations, something as massive as Mars would be needed to cause the warp that we measured."
The Kuiper Belt lies beyond the orbit of Neptune and extends to a few hundred Astronomical Units, or AU, with one AU representing the distance between Earth and the sun. Like its inner solar system cousin, the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, the Kuiper Belt hosts a vast number of minor planets, mostly small icy bodies (the precursors of comets), and a few dwarf planets.
For the study, Volk and Malhotra analyzed the tilt angles of the orbital planes of more than 600 objects in the Kuiper Belt in order to determine the common direction about which these orbital planes all precess. Precession refers to the slow change or "wobble" in the orientation of a rotating object.
KBOs operate in an analogous way to spinning tops, explains Malhotra, who is a Louise Foucar Marshall Science Research Professor and Regents' Professor of Planetary Sciences at LPL.

"Imagine you have lots and lots of fast-spinning tops, and you give each one a slight nudge," she says. "If you then take a snapshot of them, you will find that their spin axes will be at different orientations, but on average, they will be pointing to the local gravitational field of Earth.
"We expect each of the KBOs' orbital tilt angle to be at a different orientation, but on average, they will be pointing perpendicular to the plane determined by the sun and the big planets."
If one were to think of the average orbital plane of objects in the outer solar system as a sheet, it should be quite flat past 50 AU, according to Volk.
"But going further out from 50 to 80 AU, we found that the average plane actually warps away from the invariable plane," she explains. "There is a range of uncertainties for the measured warp, but there is not more than 1 or 2 percent chance that this warp is merely a statistical fluke of the limited observational sample of KBOs."
[Image: 1-unseenplanet.png]
A planetary mass object the size of Mars would be sufficient to produce the observed perturbations in the distant Kuiper Belt. Credit: Heather Roper/LPL
In other words, the effect is most likely a real signal rather than a statistical fluke. According to the calculations, an object with the mass of Mars orbiting roughly 60 AU from the sun on an orbit tilted by about eight degrees (to the average plane of the known planets) has sufficient gravitational influence to warp the orbital plane of the distant KBOs within about 10 AU to either side.
"The observed distant KBOs are concentrated in a ring about 30 AU wide and would feel the gravity of such a planetary mass object over time," Volk said, "so hypothesizing one planetary mass to cause the observed warp is not unreasonable across that distance."
This rules out the possibility that the postulated object in this case could be the hypothetical Planet Nine, whose existence has been suggested based on other observations. That planet is predicted to be much more massive (about 10 Earth masses) and much farther out at 500 to 700 AU.
"That is too far away to influence these KBOs," Volk said. "It certainly has to be much closer than 100 AU to substantially affect the KBOs in that range."
Because a planet, by definition, has to have cleared its orbit of minor planets such as KBOs, the authors refer to the hypothetical mass as a planetary mass object. The data also do not rule out the possibility that the warp could result from more than one planetary mass object.
So why haven't we found it yet? Most likely, according to Malhotra and Volk, because we haven't yet searched the entire sky for distant solar system objects. The most likely place a planetary mass object could be hiding would be in the galactic plane, an area so densely packed with stars that solar system surveys tend to avoid it.
"The chance that we have not found such an object of the right brightness and distance simply because of the limitations of the surveys is estimated to be to about 30 percent," Volk said.
A possible alternative to an unseen object that could have ruffled the plane of outer Kuiper Belt objects could be a star that buzzed the solar system in recent (by astronomical standards) history, the authors said.
"A passing star would draw all the 'spinning tops' in one direction," Malhotra said. "Once the star is gone, all the KBOs will go back to precessing around their previous plane. That would have required an extremely close passage at about 100 AU, and the warp would be erased within 10 million years, so we don't consider this a likely scenario."
Humankind's chance to catch a glimpse of the mysterious object might come fairly soon once construction of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope is completed. Run by a consortium that includes the UA and scheduled for first light in 2020, the instrument will take unprecedented, real-time surveys of the sky, night after night.
"We expect LSST to bring the number of observed KBOs from currently about 2000 to 40,000," Malhotra said. "There are a lot more KBOs out there—we just have not seen them yet. Some of them are too far and dim even for LSST to spot, but because the telescope will cover the sky much more comprehensively than current surveys, it should be able to detect this object, if it's out there."
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: More evidence for ninth planet roaming solar system's outer fringes
More information: The research paper, "The curiously warped mean plane of the Kuiper belt," is online at arxiv.org/abs/1704.02444 
Journal reference: Astronomical Journal [Image: img-dot.gif] [Image: img-dot.gif]
Provided by: University of Arizona

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-unseen-pla...r.html#jCp[/url][url=https://phys.org/news/2017-06-unseen-planetary-mass-warped-kuiper.html#jCp]
Picking up Right where we Left off...  Eh Linke??? Doh

Thursday, March 13th, 2014, 05:24 pm (This post was last modified: Monday, July 18th, 2016, 07:44 pm by Keith.)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcas...-planet-x/

Quote: Wrote:Solar system conspiracy theorists have long harbored suspicions that a hidden extra planet or dwarf star lies beyond the orbit of Pluto. As a planet, it’s been called Tyche or simply Planet X. As a star, Nemesis.

But an exhaustive search has found no hints of this long-rumored object. NASA's Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer has scanned the entire sky in infrared light—twice—and ruled out any hidden bodies larger than Saturn out to 10,000 times the distance from the Earth to the sun.

Furthermore, it found no evidence for anything bigger than Jupiter out to 26,000 times the Earth-sun distance. Pluto, for comparison, lies only 40 times farther from the sun than Earth. [Kevin L. Luhman, A Search For a Distant Companion to The Sun with the Wide-Field Infrared Survey Explorer, in the Astrophysical Journal]

The finding deals a blow to theories that a Planet X- or Nemesis-type object may have caused periodic mass extinctions on Earth. Some theorists have mused that a hidden planet might have swept through bands of comets in the solar system, sending them crashing into Earth. Now it seems that for such mass species die-offs, the fault lies not in the stars.

I look forward to reading official retractions by enthusiasts for "Planet X". Most particularly from Richard Hoagland and Mike Bara, who wrote in chapter 2 of their appallingly inaccurate book Dark Mission that the entire theory of what they call hyperdimensional physics (a concept stolen from Thomas Bearden, he of the diploma-mill doctorate and the never-demonstrated free energy device) depends on the discovery of at least one large planet beyond Pluto. 

HD Physics is dead, folks --  remember, you heard it first here.

Stu Harris eye hope you're seeing what I Am seeing.  Arrow

New evidence in support of the Planet Nine hypothesis
July 13, 2017  LilD

[Image: 1-newevidencei.jpg]
Will another planet be added to the list of Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune in our Solar System? Credit: NASA
Last year, astronomers announced the existence of an unknown planet in our solar system. However, this hypothesis was subsequently called into question as biases in the observational data were detected. Now, Spanish astronomers have used a novel technique to analyse the orbits of the so-called extreme trans-Neptunian objects and, once again, they report that there is something perturbing them—a planet located at a distance between 300 to 400 times the Earth-sun distance.

At the beginning of 2016, researchers from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech, USA) announced that they had evidence of the existence of this object, located at an average distance of 700 AU and with a mass 10 times that of the Earth. Their calculations were motivated by the peculiar distribution of the orbits found for the trans-Neptunian objects (TNO) in the Kuiper belt, which suggested the presence of a Planet Nine within the solar system.
However, scientists from the Canadian-French-Hawaiian project OSSOS detected biases in their own observations of the orbits of the TNOs, which had been systematically directed towards the same regions of the sky, and considered that other groups, including the Caltech group, may be experiencing the same issues. According to these scientists, it is not necessary to propose the existence of a massive perturber to explain these observations, as they are compatible with a random distribution of orbits.
Now, however, two astronomers from the Complutense University of Madrid have applied a new technique less exposed to observational bias to study the so-called "extreme trans-Neptunian objects" (ETNOs)—located at average distances greater than 150 AU, and which never cross Neptune's orbit. For the first time, the distances from their nodes to the sun have been analysed, and the results, published in the journal MNRAS, once again indicate a planet beyond Pluto.
The nodes are the two points at which the orbit of an ETNO, or any other celestial body, crosses the plane of the solar system. These are the precise points where the probability of interacting with other objects is the highest, and therefore, at these points, the ETNOs may experience a drastic change in their orbits or even a collision.
Like the comets that interact with Jupiter
"If there is nothing to perturb them, the nodes of these extreme trans-Neptunian objects should be uniformly distributed, as there is nothing for them to avoid, but if there are one or more perturbers, two situations may arise," explains Carlos de la Fuente Marcos, one of the authors, to SINC. "One possibility is that the ETNOs are stable, and in this case, they would tend to have their nodes away from the path of possible perturbers. But if they are unstable, they would behave as the comets that interact with Jupiter do, tending to have one of the nodes close to the orbit of the hypothetical perturber."

Using calculations and data mining, the Spanish astronomers have found that the nodes of the 28 ETNOs analysed (and the 24 extreme Centaurs with average distances from the sun of more than 150 AU) are clustered in certain ranges of distances from the sun; furthermore, they have found a correlation where none should exist between the positions of the nodes and the inclination, one of the parameters which defines the orientation of the orbits of these icy objects in space.
"Assuming that the ETNOs are dynamically similar to the comets that interact with Jupiter, we interpret these results as signs of the presence of a planet that is actively interacting with them in a range of distances from 300 to 400 AU," says De la Fuente Marcos. "We believe that what we are seeing here cannot be attributed to the presence of observational bias."
Until now, studies that challenged the existence of Planet Nine using the data available for these trans-Neptunian objects argued that there had been systematic errors linked to the orientations of the orbits (defined by three angles) due to the way the observations had been made. Nevertheless, the nodal distances mainly depend on the size and shape of the orbit, parameters which are relatively free of observational bias.
"It is the first time that the nodes have been used to try to understand the dynamics of the ETNOs", De la Fuente Marcos says, adding that discovering more ETNOs (at the moment, only 28 are known) would permit the proposed scenario to be confirmed and subsequently constrain the orbit of the unknown planet via the analysis of the distribution of the nodes.
The authors note that their study supports the existence of a planetary object within the range of parameters considered both in the Planet Nine hypothesis of Mike Brown and Konstantin Batygin from Caltech, and in the original one proposed in 2014 by Scott Sheppard from the Carnegie Institute and Chadwick Trujillo from the University of North Arizona; it also corresponds with their own earlier studies, which suggested that there is more than one unknown planet in our solar system.
Is there also a Planet Ten?
De la Fuente Marcos explains that the hypothetical Planet Nine suggested in this study has nothing to do with another possible planet or planetoid situated much closer to us, and hinted at by other recent findings. Also applying data mining to the orbits of the TNOs of the Kuiper Belt, astronomers Kathryn Volk and Renu Malhotra from the University of Arizona (USA) have found that the plane on which these objects orbit the sun is slightly warped, a fact that could be explained if there is a perturber of the size of Mars at 60 AU from the sun.
"Given the current definition of a planet, this other mysterious object may not be a true planet, even if it has a size similar to that of the Earth, as it could be surrounded by huge asteroids or dwarf planets," explains the Spanish astronomer. "In any case, we are convinced that Volk and Malhotra's work has found solid evidence of the presence of a massive body beyond the so-called Kuiper Cliff, the furthest point of the trans-Neptunian belt, at some 50 AU from the sun, and we hope to be able to present soon a new work which also supports its existence."
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: Extreme trans-Neptunian objects lead the way to Planet Nine
More information: C. de la Fuente Marcos, R. de la Fuente Marcos. "Evidence for a possible bimodal distribution of the nodal distances of the extreme trans-Neptunian objects: avoiding a trans-Plutonian planet or just plain bias?". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical SocietyLetters, July 2017. DOI: 10.1093/mnrasl/slx106 , Preprint http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2017arXiv170606981D 
Journal reference: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society[Image: img-dot.gif] [Image: img-dot.gif]
Provided by: Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT)

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-evidence-planet-hypothesis.html#jCp[/url]

Quote:"a planet located at a distance between 300 to 400 times the Earth-sun distance."

My guess would be ~333 AU For the Big One

And for the mar's size one... ~66.6 AU

Of course to improve on Lincoln's theory sum improv must by default, be thrown into the mix of Light Sheep Shadow Tricks.

Suggestion as a question>>>

Planet 9 & 10 may be our binary and itz planet(s)???

Smallest-ever star discovered by astronomers
July 12, 2017
Twinkle ,Twinkle Littlest Star...
[Image: smallestever.jpg]
Credit: Amanda Smith
The smallest star yet measured has been discovered by a team of astronomers led by the University of Cambridge. With a size just a sliver larger than that of Saturn, the gravitational pull at its stellar surface is about 300 times stronger than what humans feel on Earth.

The star is likely as small as stars can possibly become, as it has just enough mass to enable the fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium. If it were any smaller, the pressure at the centre of the star would no longer be sufficient to enable this process to take place. Hydrogen fusion is also what powers the Sun, and scientists are attempting to replicate it as a powerful energy source here on Earth.
These very small and dim stars are also the best possible candidates for detecting Earth-sized planets which can have liquid water on their surfaces, such as TRAPPIST-1, an ultracool dwarf surrounded by seven temperate Earth-sized worlds.
The newly-measured star, called EBLM J0555-57Ab, is located about six hundred light years away. It is part of a binary system, and was identified as it passed in front of its much larger companion, a method which is usually used to detect planets, not stars. Details will be published in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.
"Our discovery reveals how small stars can be," said Alexander Boetticher, the lead author of the study, and a Master's student at Cambridge's Cavendish Laboratory and Institute of Astronomy. "Had this star formed with only a slightly lower mass, the fusion reaction of hydrogen in its core could not be sustained, and the star would instead have transformed into a brown dwarf."
EBLM J0555-57Ab was identified by WASP, a planet-finding experiment run by the Universities of Keele, Warwick, Leicester and St Andrews. EBLM J0555-57Ab was detected when it passed in front of, or transited, its larger parent star, forming what is called an eclipsing stellar binary system. The parent star became dimmer in a periodic fashion, the signature of an orbiting object. Thanks to this special configuration, researchers can accurately measure the mass and size of any orbiting companions, in this case a small star. The mass of EBLM J0555-57Ab was established via the Doppler, wobble method, using data from the CORALIE spectrograph.
"This star is smaller, and likely colder than many of the gas giant exoplanets that have so far been identified," said von Boetticher. "While a fascinating feature of stellar physics, it is often harder to measure the size of such dim low-mass stars than for many of the larger planets. Thankfully, we can find these small stars with planet-hunting equipment, when they orbit a larger host star in a binary system. It might sound incredible, but finding a star can at times be harder than finding a planet."
This newly-measured star has a mass comparable to the current estimate for TRAPPIST-1, but has a radius that is nearly 30% smaller. "The smallest stars provide optimal conditions for the discovery of Earth-like planets, and for the remote exploration of their atmospheres," said co-author Amaury Triaud, senior researcher at Cambridge's Institute of Astronomy. "However, before we can study planets, we absolutely need to understand their star; this is fundamental."
Although they are the most numerous stars in the Universe, stars with sizes and masses less than 20% that of the Sun are poorly understood, since they are difficult to detect due to their small size and low brightness. The EBLM project, which identified the star in this study, aims to plug that lapse in knowledge. "Thanks to the EBLM project, we will achieve a far greater understanding of the planets orbiting the most common stars that exist, planets like those orbiting TRAPPIST-1," said co-author Professor Didier Queloz of Cambridge' Cavendish Laboratory.
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: Temperate earth-sized worlds found in extraordinarily rich planetary system (Update)
More information: Alexander von Boetticher et al. 'A Saturn-size low-mass star at the hydrogen-burning limit.' Astronomy & Astrophysics (2017). arXiv: arxiv.org/abs/1706.08781 
Journal reference: Astronomy & Astrophysics [Image: img-dot.gif] [Image: img-dot.gif]
Provided by: University of Cambridge

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-smallest-ever-star-astronomers.html#jCp[url=https://phys.org/news/2017-07-smallest-ever-star-astronomers.html#jCp]
The proposed Mars sized planet is just as interesting as Mikey's Planet Nine,
and it is also wrapped up in Mikey Brown nonsense.

Quote:"Given the current definition of a planet,  Pennywise  <---- {Mikey Brown}
this  other  mysterious  object  .......  may not be a true planet  Tp  
even if it has a size similar to that of the Earth  Rofl 

as it could be surrounded by huge asteroids  
or dwarf planets
explains the Spanish astronomer. "

A comet hive in the Oort cloud,
and the Kuiper belt is rife with dwarf planets running into huge asteroids.
The Mars sized planet that they suspect being so much closer,
becomes a tangible mission target.

Quote:Posted by Vianova - Friday, July 14th, 2017, 05:43 am
A comet hive in the Oort cloud,

and the Kuiper belt is rife with dwarf planets running into huge asteroids.
The Mars sized planet that they suspect being so much closer,
becomes a tangible mission target.

Vianova.
How Intangible is this?  Arrow

New theory on origin of the asteroid belt

September 14, 2017 by Bob Yirka report

[Image: 59ba526563c43.jpg]
The asteroid belt may be have started out empty and was populated by objects from across the Solar System. Credit: Sean Raymond, planetplanet.net
(Phys.org)—A pair of researchers with Université de Bordeaux has proposed a new theory to explain the origin of the asteroid belt. In their paper published in Science Advances, Sean Raymond and Andre Izidoro describe their theory and what they found when trying to model it.

The asteroid belt (sometimes referred to as the main asteroid belt) orbits between Mars and Jupiter. It consists of asteroids and minor planets forming a disk around the sun. It also serves as a sort of dividing line between the inner rocky planets and outer gas giants. Current theory suggests that the asteroid belt was once much more heavily populated, but the gravitational pull of Jupiter flung approximately 99 percent of its former material to other parts of the solar system or beyond. Astronomers also assumed that Jupiter's gravity prevented the material in the belt from coalescing into larger planets. In this new effort, the researchers propose a completely different explanation of the asteroid belt's origin—suggesting that the belt started out as an empty space and was subsequently filled by material flung from the inner and outer planets.
The researchers note that asteroids closer to the rocky planets (called S-type asteroids) tend to contain silicate, similar to the inner planets. By contrast, asteroids in the belt closer to the gas giants (called C-type asteroids) tend to contain more carbon, making them more like the gas giants. This, the researchers note, suggests that the asteroids actually came from the planets as they were forming—excess material was essentially kicked away into the asteroid belt, where it remains today.
To test their theory, the researchers created a model mimicking the early solar system, during which the asteroid belt starts out as empty. Running the model forward, they report, showed that it was possible that material from the other planets could have made its way to the belt, resulting in the disk observed today. They plan to continue their research to see if they can find more evidence for their theory, or for the conventional view.
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: Astronomers identify oldest known asteroid family
More information: Sean N. Raymond et al. The empty primordial asteroid belt, Science Advances (2017). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1701138
Abstract 
The asteroid belt contains less than a thousandth of Earth's mass and is radially segregated, with S-types dominating the inner belt and C-types the outer belt. It is generally assumed that the belt formed with far more mass and was later strongly depleted. We show that the present-day asteroid belt is consistent with having formed empty, without any planetesimals between Mars and Jupiter's present-day orbits. This is consistent with models in which drifting dust is concentrated into an isolated annulus of terrestrial planetesimals. 

Gravitational scattering during terrestrial planet formation causes radial spreading,  youareaduck
transporting planetesimals from inside 1 to 1.5 astronomical units out to the belt

Several times the total current mass in S-types is implanted, with a preference for the inner main belt. C-types are implanted from the outside, as the giant planets' gas accretion destabilizes nearby planetesimals and injects a fraction into the asteroid belt, preferentially in the outer main belt. These implantation mechanisms are simple by-products of terrestrial and giant planet formation. The asteroid belt may thus represent a repository for planetary leftovers that accreted across the solar system but not in the belt itself. 
Journal reference: Science Advances

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-theory-asteroid-belt.html#jCp[/url]

Quote:Gravitational scattering during terrestrial planet formation causes radial spreading,  youareaduck

transporting planetesimals from inside 1 to ~1.52 astronomical units out to the belt

edge a =1

units

edge b =1.52

units
[Image: arittri.gif]
edge c =1.82

units
angle A =33.3

degrees
angle B =56.7

degrees
area =0.76

square units

I look forward to reading official retractions by enthusiasts for "Planet X". Most particularly from Richard Hoagland and Mike Bara, who wrote in chapter 2 of their appallingly inaccurate book Dark Mission that the entire theory of what they call hyperdimensional physics (a concept stolen from Thomas Bearden, he of the diploma-mill doctorate and the never-demonstrated free energy device) depends on the discovery of at least one large planet beyond Pluto. 

HD Physics is dead, folks --  remember, you heard it first here. -Lincoln(Stu Harris)

Astronomers probe origin of Planet 9
September 14, 2017

[Image: howdoweknowt.png]
Artist’s impression of Planet Nine, blocking out the Milky Way. The Sun is in the distance, with the orbit of Neptune shown as a ring. Credit: ESO/Tomruen/nagualdesign
Astronomers at the University of Sheffield have shown that 'Planet 9' – an unseen planet on the edge of our solar system – probably formed closer to home than previously thought.

A team led by Dr Richard Parker from the University of Sheffield's Department of Physics and Astronomy has found that Planet 9 is 'unlikely' to have been captured from another planetary system, as has previously been suggested, and must have formed around the sun.
The outskirts of the solar system have always been something of an enigma, with astronomers in the late 19th and early 20th centuries searching for a giant planet that wasn't there, and the subsequent discovery of Pluto in 1930.
Pluto was downgraded in status to a 'dwarf planet' because astronomers discovered many other small objects – so-called Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt objects – at similar distances from the sun.
In 2016 astronomers working in the USA postulated the presence of 'Planet 9' to explain the strange orbital properties of some Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt objects.
But while it isn't possible to directly observe Planet 9, it hasn't stopped theorists from trying to work out how it got there.
Planet 9 is at least 10 times bigger than Earth, making it unlikely that it formed at such a large distance from the sun. Instead, it has been suggested it either moved there from the inner regions of the solar system, or it could have been captured when the sun was still in its birth star cluster.
But a team, led by Dr Parker with colleagues from ETH Zurich, has shown that the capture scenario is extremely unlikely.
Researchers simulated the sun's stellar nursery where interactions are common and found that even in conditions optimised to capture free-floating planets, only five-to-10 out of 10,000 planets are captured onto an orbit like Planet 9's.
Dr Parker said: "We know that 
planetary systems form at the same time as stars, and when stars are very young they are usually found in groups where interactions between stellar siblings are common. Therefore, the environment where stars form directly affects planetary systems like our own, and is usually so densely populated that stars can capture other stars or planets.
"In this work, we have shown that - although capture is common - ensnaring planets onto the postulated orbit of Planet 9 is very improbable. We're not ruling out the idea of Planet 9, but instead we're saying that it must have formed around the sun, rather than captured from another planetary system."
The study was published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: Theft behind Planet 9 in our solar system
More information: Was Planet 9 captured in the Sun's natal star-forming region? arXiv:1709.00418 [astro-ph.EP] arxiv.org/abs/1709.00418 
Journal reference: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society[Image: img-dot.gif] [Image: img-dot.gif]
Provided by: University of Sheffield

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-09-astronomer...t.html#jCp[url=https://phys.org/news/2017-09-astronomers-probe-planet.html#jCp]
On the new asteroid belt theory,
I think that some of what they propose does accumulate in the asteroid belt,
but that is just a minor overall depositional factor that accumulates to what was already there enmasse.

Stu Harris used to sing such quotes below,
in his bubble bath blog opera as a Shakespearean Scheissenheimer Whip

Quote:I look forward to reading official retractions by enthusiasts for "Planet X". 
Most particularly from Richard Hoagland and Mike Bara, 
who wrote in chapter 2 of their appallingly inaccurate book Dark Mission 
that the entire theory of what they call hyperdimensional physics 
(a concept stolen from Thomas Bearden, 
he of the diploma-mill doctorate and the never-demonstrated free energy device) 
depends on the discovery of at least one large planet beyond Pluto. 

HD Physics is dead, folks --  remember, you heard it first here. -Lincoln(Stu Harris)

Bitch Slap that bitch slap Stu Snakespeare Harris  Reefer

[Image: Hamlettee.jpg]

feastie ya beastie

[Image: Shakespeare%2BInsult.jpg]

essen das scheissen shakespooke  Tp

[Image: horse-rode.jpg]

So ... Stu ... how is Stu? ... you know ... the Stu that counts the craters on your butt cheeks Rofl

Thatza whole lotta craters on one Shakespearean bun bun Stu ....

[Image: 1474039986-ibaogcfblslux4vnrdvn.jpg]

Send Stu Robbins a package of get well soon ...

[Image: 61RcVrK8JsL._SL1000_.jpg]

Oh the trials and tribulations of being one Stu or the other Stu ... 
One is a bad actor, the other is his entire audience.

Rofl

2stu-pid @Planet 9  Arrow
[Image: rsc-royal-shakespeare-company-jumble-sale.jpg?w=1156]
What Price 3 3 3 ?
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/over-10000-cost...le-1639244
Quote:I look forward to reading official retractions by enthusiasts for "Planet X". Most particularly from Richard Hoagland and Mike Bara, who wrote in chapter 2 of their appallingly inaccurate book Dark Mission that the entire theory of what they call hyperdimensional physics (a concept stolen from Thomas Bearden, he of the diploma-mill doctorate and the never-demonstrated free energy device) depends on the discovery of at least one large planet beyond Pluto. 

HD Physics is dead, folks --  remember, you heard it first here. -Lincoln(Stu Harris)

Quote:Planet Nine is out there, and astronomers are determined to find it, according to ANU/a new statement from NASA. In fact, mounting evidence suggests it's hard to imagine our solar system without the unseen world.  LilD  depends on the discovery of at least one large planet beyond Pluto.  Doh

Planet Nine Could Be Our Solar System's Missing 'Super Earth'

By Samantha Mathewson, Space.com Contributor | October 12, 2017 07:00am ET
[img=553x0]https://img.purch.com/w/660/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3MC83NTcvb3JpZ2luYWwvZXhvcGxhbmV0MjAxNzEwMDQuanBn[/img][Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv...EwMDQuanBn]

A possible "Planet Nine" in Earth's solar system would orbit far beyond Neptune's orbit (visible as a bright ring around the sun in this artist's illustration).
Credit: Tom Ruen/nagualdesign/ESO

Planet Nine is out there, and astronomers are determined to find it, according to a new statement from NASA. In fact, mounting evidence suggests it's hard to imagine our solar system without the unseen world. 

The hypothetical planet is believed to be about 10 times more massive than Earth and located in the dark, outer reaches of the solar system, approximately 20 times farther from the sun than Neptune is. While the mysterious world still has yet to be found, astronomers have discovered a number of strange features of our solar system that are best explained by the presence of a ninth planet, according to the NASA statement
"There are now five different lines of observational evidence pointing to the existence of Planet Nine," Konstantin Batygin, a planetary astrophysicist at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena, said in the statement. "If you were to remove this explanation and imagine Planet Nine does not exist, then you generate more problems than you solve. All of a sudden, you have five different puzzles, and you must come up with five different theories to explain them." [The Evidence for 'Planet Nine' in Our Solar System (Gallery)]

In 2016, Batygin and co-author Mike Brown, an astronomer at Caltech, published a study that examined the elliptical orbits of six known objects in the Kuiper Belt, a distant region of icy bodies stretching from Neptune outward toward interstellar space. Their findings revealed that all of those Kuiper Belt objects have elliptical orbits that point in the same direction and are tilted about 30 degrees "downward" compared to the plane in which the eight official planets circle the sun, according to the statement. 

Using computer simulations of the solar system with a Planet Nine, Batygin and Brown also showed that there should be even more objects tilted a whopping 90 degrees with respect to the solar plane. Further investigation revealed that five such objects were already known to fit these parameters, the researchers said. 

Since then, the astronomers have found new evidence that further supports the existence of Planet Nine. With help from Elizabeth Bailey, an astrophysicist and planetary scientist at Caltech, the team showed that Planet Nine's influence might have tilted the planets of our solar system, which would explain why the zone in which the eight major planets orbit the sun is tilted by about 6 degrees compared to the sun's equator.

"Over long periods of time, Planet Nine will make the entire solar-system plane precess, or wobble, just like a top on a table," Batygin said in the statement. 

Finally, the researchers demonstrate how Planet Nine's presence could explain why Kuiper Belt objects orbit in the opposite direction from everything else in the solar system. 

"No other model can explain the weirdness of these high-inclination orbits," Batygin said in the statement. "It turns out that Planet Nine provides a natural avenue for their generation. These things have been twisted out of the solar system plane with help from Planet Nine and then scattered inward by Neptune."

Going forward, the researchers plan to use the Subaru Telescope at Mauna Kea Observatory in Hawaii to find Planet Nine, and then deduce where the mysterious world came from
The most common type of planets discovered around other stars in our galaxy has been what astronomers call "super Earths" — rocky worlds that are larger than Earth but smaller than Neptune. However, no such planet has yet been discovered in our solar system, meaning that Planet Nine could be our missing "super Earth," the researchers said.

https://www.space.com/38431-new-evidence-planet-nine-existence.html
Planet Nine is a singular distraction to the more obvious possibility,
that there is more than one "super Earth" out there in the Kuiper Belt,
and also a host of other dwarf and larger planets.
Good chance it is more than 20 x Earth size as well.
The premise of a hidden brown dwarf out here remains distinctly possible as well.
Like I said,
the NASA / media focus on Planet 9 distracts from the numerous planetary possibilities out there,
that appear apparent.
The Oort cloud is a massive comet hive numbering into the tens of thousands, 
and as such the Kuiper belt areas are likely dotted with numerous dark planets like Haumea and Pluto etc.
Quote:Astronomers also have another newly discovered TNO to include in their indirect methods of detecting Planet Nine. The Dark Energy Survey collaboration, a large group of scientists including several U-M scientists, has discovered another TNO that has a high orbital inclination compared to the plane of the solar system: it is tilted about 54 degrees relative to the solar system's plane.

In an analysis of this new object, Becker and her team have found that this object experiences resonance hopping as well in the presence of Planet Nine, showing that this phenomenon extends to even more unusual orbits.

In search of the ninth planet
October 17, 2017 by Morgan Sherburne

[Image: 2-insearchofth.jpg]
Artist's concept of the "Planet Nine". Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Robert Hurt
A University of Michigan doctoral student has logged two pieces of evidence that may support the existence of a planet that could be part of our solar system, beyond Neptune.

Some astronomers think this alleged planet, called Planet Nine, exists because of the way some objects in space, called "Trans-Neptunian Objects," or TNOs, behave. These TNOs are rocky objects smaller than Pluto that orbit the sun at a greater average distance than Neptune. But the orbits of the most distant of these TNOs—those whose average distance from the sun is more than 250 times as far as Earth's distance—seem to point in the same direction. This observation first led astronomers to predict the existence of Planet Nine.
For these TNOs to be aligned in the orbits they currently occupy because of Planet Nine's influence, astronomers say, they would have been in the solar system for longer than a billion years. However, some astronomers think in that amount of time, some of these objects should have either smashed into another planet, been thrown into the sun, or ricocheted off into space by other planets' gravitational force.
The U-M research, led by Juliette Becker, a graduate student in the Department of Astronomy, consisted of a large set of computer simulations, which uncovered two findings about these TNOs. First, the researchers established a version of Planet Nine that would most likely cause our solar system to look the way it currently does, by preventing the TNOs from being destroyed or thrown out of the solar system. Second, the simulations predict that there is a process that they call "resonance hopping" by which a TNO jumps between stable orbits. This process can prevent the TNOs from being ejected from the solar system.
In each individual simulation, the researchers tested different versions of Planet Nine to see whether that version of the planet, with its gravitational forces, resulted in the same version of the solar system we see today.
"From that set of simulations, we found out that there are preferred versions of Planet Nine that make the TNO stay stable for longer, so it basically increases the probability that our solar system exists the way it does," Becker said. "Through these computer simulations, we were able to determine which realization of Planet Nine creates our solar system—the whole caveat here being, if Planet Nine is real."
The group, which includes U-M physics professors David Gerdes and Fred Adams as well as graduate student Stephanie Hamilton and undergraduate Tali Khain, also examined the resonance of these TNOs with Planet Nine. An orbital resonance occurs when objects in a system periodically exert gravitational forces upon each other that cause the objects to line up in a pattern.
In this case, the researchers found that occasionally, Neptune will bump a TNO out of its orbital resonance, but instead of sending that TNO skittering into the sun, out of the solar system or into another planet, something catches that TNO and confines it into a different resonance.
"The ultimate goal would be to directly see Planet Nine—to take a telescope, point it at the sky, and see reflected light from the sun bouncing off of Planet Nine," Becker said. "Since we haven't yet been able to find it, despite many people looking, we're stuck with these kinds of indirect methods."
Astronomers also have another newly discovered TNO to include in their indirect methods of detecting Planet Nine. The Dark Energy Survey collaboration, a large group of scientists including several U-M scientists, has discovered another TNO that has a high orbital inclination compared to the plane of the solar system: it is tilted about 54 degrees relative to the solar system's plane.
In an analysis of this new object, Becker and her team have found that this object experiences resonance hopping as well in the presence of Planet Nine, showing that this phenomenon extends to even more unusual orbits.
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: The super-Earth that came home for dinner
More information: Study (PDF): Evaluating the Dynamical Stability of Outer Solar System Objects in the Presence of Planet Nine, https://arxiv.org/abs/1706.06609 
Provided by: University of Michigan

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-10-ninth-planet.html#jCp[url=https://phys.org/news/2017-10-ninth-planet.html#jCp][/url]

Hoagland will have his day.  LilD

Quote:Second, the simulations predict that there is a process 
that they call "resonance hopping" Kickbut
by which a TNO jumps between stable orbits. 
This process can prevent the TNOs from being ejected from the solar system.

Neptune will bump a TNO out of its orbital resonance,  
but instead of sending that TNO skittering into the sun, 
out of the solar system or into another planet, 
something catches that TNO and confines it into a different resonance.

In an analysis of this new object, 

Becker and her team have found that this object 
experiences resonance hopping as well in the presence of Planet Nine, 
showing that this phenomenon extends to even more unusual orbits.

Whatever it is, it's a lot bigger and badder than Neptune.

It might have a a shit load of moons as a planet orbiting out there in the Kuiper Belt.
Whatever it is, itza gonna usher in ANU World Order.

Resoundingly!!!

https://www.space.com/38625-monster-plan...-star.html
Monster Planet, Tiny Star: Record-Breaking Duo Puzzles Astronomers

Quote:A giant planet has been found orbiting an ultracool dwarf star — 
the largest planet compared to its star ever found — 
leaving scientists baffled at how the duo could have formed.

The planet NGTS-1b is situated 600 light-years from our solar system, 
according to a statement from the University of Warwick, 
and it is a gas giant about the size of Jupiter. 
Its star, on the other hand, is just half the mass and radius of the sun. 
The planet orbits its star at 3 percent the distance from the Earth to the sun, 
and it whips around a full orbit every 2.6 Earth days.

The system's star is a small, dim M-dwarf, 
which is the most common type of star in the sky. 
Red dwarfs burn their fuel much more slowly than sun-like stars, 
so they can have lifetimes of trillions of years. 
According to the new work, 
this is the third time a gas giant has been seen orbiting an M-dwarf — but this planet is by far the largest.

While it can be tricky enough just to spot planets orbiting M-dwarfs, 
researchers are much more used to seeing M-dwarfs orbited by rocky planets, 
according to a statement from the Royal Astronomical Society. 

In February, for instance, researchers found seven rocky planets 
orbiting the small, dim TRAPPIST-1. 
NGTS-1 is larger than TRAPPIST-1, 
but researchers are still unsure how the star could have gathered enough material 
to build a large gas giant during the system's formation, 
they said in the statement.

"NGTS-1b was difficult to find, despite being a monster of a planet, 

because its parent star is small and faint," 
Bayliss said. 
"Small stars are actually the most common in the universe, 
so it is possible that there are many of these giant planets waiting to be found."

https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/#abs/2010S...L/abstract

Capture of the Sun's Oort Cloud from Stars in Its Birth Cluster

Quote:Oort cloud comets,
are currently believed to have formed in the Sun's protoplanetary disk, 
and to have been ejected to large heliocentric orbits by the giant planets. 

Detailed models of this process fail to reproduce all of the available observational constraints, however. 

In particular, 
the Oort cloud appears to be substantially more populous than the models predict. 

Here we present numerical simulations, 
that show that the Sun captured comets from other stars while it was in its birth cluster. 
Our results imply that a substantial fraction of the Oort cloud comets, 
perhaps exceeding 90%, 
are from the protoplanetary disks of other stars.

Tiny Slowdown in Earth's Rotation Could Unleash Major Earthquakes

By Tia Ghose, Senior Writer | November 20, 2017 

[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h...Rpb24uanBn]
Credit: agsandrew/Shutterstock
A tiny slowdown in Earth's rotation next year could trigger more earthquakes than usual, new research suggests.
Past periods of slow rotation over the last 100 years have coincided with more earthquakes than average, according to research presented last month at the annual meeting of the Geological Society of America.
"The numbers of earthquakes that have occurred each year in the past century are well known. The changes in Earth's rotation rate are also well known," study co-author Roger Bilham, a geophysicist at the University of Colorado Boulder, said in an email to Live Science. "All we have done is to compare these two well-known lists of numbers and report an interesting and useful relationship." [Image Gallery: This Millennium's Destructive Earthquakes]

The basic idea is that as the Earth's spin slows slightly, the equator shrinks. However, tectonic plates don't shrink as easily, meaning the edges of the plates get squeezed. Although this amount of squeezing isn't huge, it does put added stress on plate boundaries that are already under stress, where earthquakes are more likely, Bilham said.
Historical pattern
Bilham and his colleague, Rebecca Bendick, a geophysicist at the University of Montana in Missoula, looked at the history of earthquakes of magnitude 7 or greater since 1900.
On average, there were about 15 major earthquakes per year since 1900. However, during certain periods, the planet sees between 25 and 35 earthquakes greater than magnitude 7 in a year. When the team looked more closely, they found those periods coincided with times when the Earth spins more slowly, meaning the days get slightly longer. Changes in Earth's rotational speed can be caused by weather patterns like El Niño, ocean currents and currents in the molten core of the planet. When fluids speed up, the solid Earth must slow down, Bilham said.
Because NASA tracks the length of the day to the microsecond, these slowdowns in Earth's spin can be predicted five years in advance, Bilham said.
Based on that data, the Earth is entering a period of prolonged slower rotation. As a result, next year could see more quakes, if past data is any indication. Whereas an average year might see about 15 earthquakes of magnitude 7 or greater, the next four years could see closer to 20 earthquakes of that size, Bilham said.
"Knowing that earthquakes will be more plentiful in five or six or seven years is useful because if a city planning department is considering retrofitting buildings to make them earthquake-safe now, or in 10 years' time, the knowledge that more earthquakes are on their way may make them act now, rather than later," Bilham said.
However, this effect will likely impact only faults that are already under stress and at high risk of rupture.
"We have no information on where these earthquakes will occur, except that they will occur at the world's plate boundaries," Bilham said.
Possible effect
"It's a very interesting possible effect," said Amos Nur, a geophysicist at Stanford University in California, who was not involved in the research. "Even though the rotation rate changes so little, the size of the mass [of the Earth] and the inertia are so great, you don't need a huge change in rotation to have a change in stress."
Scientists still have only a poor understanding of what triggers earthquakes, and have no way to predict earthquakes, so it would be impossible to definitively pin any given earthquake on Earth's rotation, Nur said. Still, there are ways to validate the researchers' basic idea, Nur said.
"The next step would be to go back and try to model what happens to the stress inside the Earth," when its rotation changes, Nur told Live Science. "It's not ridiculous. It's quite feasible."

Source: https://www.livescience.com/60989-slow-e...uakes.html

Maybe that X-O Planet is causing more havoc than No Adult Supervision Available every thought possible Doh

Like Cere's "Rubber Ducky" it ain't even looking at it correctly. 

Bob... Ninja Alien2
Quote:Maybe that X-O Planet is causing more havoc than No Adult Supervision Available every thought possible

Like Cere's "Rubber Ducky" it ain't even looking at it correctly. 

Bob...

007 recall:

"It's a very interesting possible effect," said Amos Nur, a geophysicist at Stanford University in California, who was not involved in the research. "Even though the rotation rate changes so little, the size of the mass [of the Earth] and the inertia are so great, you don't need a huge change in rotation to have a change in stress."

Scientists still have only a poor understanding of what triggers earthquakes, and have no way to predict earthquakes, so it would be impossible to definitively pin any given earthquake on Earth's rotation, Nur said. Still, there are ways to validate the researchers' basic idea, Nur said.
"The next step would be to go back and try to model what happens to the stress inside the Earth," when its rotation changes, Nur told Live Science. "It's not ridiculous. It's quite feasible."

[Image: 35848981763_42928c49f8_c.jpg]

[Image: Jupiter-Trojan-orbital-geometry.png]

If Jupiter has followers itza not so strange that @ Planet9's/Lagrange my point is this Arrow

You might be right.

[Image: tHyoc.jpg]

Holy Jupiter to get Stu-Pid-er Common Sense knowledge college. LilD

Planet9 must have swarms of these to throw at the inner solar system.

[Image: point_of_lagrange1_big-resize-580x449.png]

These orbits are not always stable for trojan horse -poops kicking around... Horsepoop

Maybe Planet-X killed the Dinosaurs. Cry

youareaduck

[Image: Duck-Billed-Dinosaurs.jpg]
[Image: esoobservati.jpg]
???
[Image: eckerphobos.jpg]
Quote:Dynamical effects

The dynamical effects of Planet Nine would explain five aspects of the Solar System: the clustering of the orbits of extreme trans-Neptunian objects (eTNOs); the high perihelia of objects like Sedna that are detached from Neptune's influence; the high inclinations of eTNOs with orbits roughly perpendicular to the plane of the Solar System, high inclination Kuiper belt objects with semi-major axis less than 100 AU, and the obliquity, or tilt, of the Sun's axis relative to the plane of the Solar System.[32] While other mechanisms have been offered for many of these peculiarities the gravitational influence of Planet Nine is the only one that explains all five. The dynamical effects of Planet Nine also excite the inclinations of scattering objects, which in numerical simulations leaves the inclination distribution of short-period comets with a broader distribution than is observed.[9]
ESO observations show first interstellar asteroid is like nothing seen before
[Image: 1x1.gif] November 20, 2017
For the first time ever astronomers have studied an asteroid that has entered the Solar System from interstellar space. Observations from ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile and other observatories around the world show that ...

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-11-lyra-missi...d.html#jCp

[Image: 1-discoveryofc.jpg]
Discovery of cigar-shaped asteroid from outer space could help unveil secrets of extrasolar worlds
[Image: 1x1.gif] November 22, 2017
It came from outer space … and went back there two weeks later, having astonished and excited astronomers and planetary scientists. A cigar-shaped object, less than half a kilometre long and barely bright enough to be detected ...
[Image: interstellar.jpg]
Interstellar visitor shaped like giant fire extinguisher (Update)
[Image: 1x1.gif] November 16, 2017
A newly discovered object from another star system that's passing through ours is shaped like a giant pink fire extinguisher.

Astronomers capture first visiting object from outside our solar system
October 27, 2017

[Image: 59f3878953e34.jpg]
Credit: Queen's University Belfast
A Queen's University Belfast scientist is leading an international team in studying a new visitor to our solar system - the first known comet or asteroid to visit us from another star.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-10-astronomer...r.html#jCp

[Image: 59f387a12e1db.jpg]
Could be Earth-made Dark Matter ?

Lightning Bolts Are Churning Out Antimatter All Over Planet Earth

By Rafi Letzter, Staff Writer | November 22, 2017 

[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h...l0eS5qcGc=]
Credit: Vasin Lee/Shutterstock
Particles split in the hot belly of a lightning bolt. Radioactive particles decay in the afterglow. Gamma rays rain down to Earth.
Teruaki Enoto, a physicist at Kyoto University in Japan, proved for the first time, in a paper published Nov. 23, that lightning bolts work as natural particle accelerators. Enoto and his co-authors' results confirm for the first time speculation dating back to 1925 about this phenomenon. Back then, scientists suggested that energized, radioactive particles might zip through the booms and flashes of a thunderstorm. Those particles emit energy at precise wavelengths, which Enoto and colleagues are the first to detect. [Electric Earth: Stunning Images of Lightning]
Here's what that means:

When lighting strikes, electrons shoot screamingly fast between clouds and Earth's surface (or between two clouds). But the particles don't travel through empty space. Along the way, they crash again and again into atmospheric gas molecules. All those collisions heat the gas into a state called plasma, which glows with blackbody radiation (a type of electromagnetic radiation given off by some opaque objects).
Some of that glow, people can see, in the characteristic bright flash of lightning. But some of the emission takes place at frequencies, including X-rays and gamma-rays, far above what the human eye can detect.
Enoto's results show that those beams of invisible energy — especially the gamma-rays — excite ambient nitrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere, knocking out neutrons from the molecules the gamma rays encounter. In other words, the process results in nuclear fission. Now, things get really exciting. Nitrogen nuclei with 14 neutrons are stable. But take one of those neutrons away, and you're left with nitrogen-13, an unstable, radioactive isotope. Similarly, oxygen-16 is stable, but -15 … not so much.
Soon, all of those N-13 and O-15 molecules decay. Each unstable isotope fires off an additional neutrino and positron (the antimatter partner of the electron); both are elementary particles with exotic properties. The neutrinos stream away, nearly undetectable. But the positrons, or anti-electrons, go on to collide with their twins: ambient electrons in the atmosphere. And when matter and antimatter meet, they annihilate in a signature flash of energy.
In this case, that signature is a gamma-ray with an energy of 0.511 megaelectron volts. And that's what Enoto and his colleagues detected streaming down from a lightning storm, showing that a thunderhead is a giant, natural particle accelerator drifting through the sky.

Source: https://www.livescience.com/61013-lightn...rator.html

Highlighted text by rhw007

Bob... Ninja [Image: weed-simpson-animated-giphy.gif]
good post Bob,

https://www.space.com/8601-saturn-lightn...hotos.html

Quote:Saturn Lightning Superbolts Revealed in New Photos
But, the most marked difference,
is in the location of Saturn's thunderstorm itself.

"On Saturn, 
we have a very unique situation in which we have just one thunderstorm
at latitude 35 degrees south," 
Dyudina said. 
"It's a very bright cloud ? so bright that even amateur astronomers can see it from Earth."

The researchers noticed that the bright cloud has a tendency to appear, 
then disappears for a few months, 
then appears again at the same latitude 
and remains for another several months. Hmm2
In fact, the storm that generated the lightning that Cassini imaged,
lasted from January to October in 2009.

"The gaps between the storms can be several years," Dyudina said. 

"The longest storm was nine months. 
But, it's always at the same latitude ;whip:
and we see it on just the one cloud. 
This is very unique."

Gaint storms erupt on Jupiter

[Image: aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv...AyLmpwZw==]

Quote:The lightning strikes on Jupiter 
are hundreds of times more powerful than those seen on Earth, 
and are assumed to be associated with the water clouds.

http://www.newtonsapple.org.uk/jupiter-t...gas-giant/
very good general detailed data info on jupiter

[Image: Lightning-strikes-Jupiter.jpg]

This is why the Decadal Survey is useless.
Check out the huge divergence in scientific opinion on Planet Nine,
in this article.
These are the same types of scientists that determine mission priorities in the Decadal Survey.
The Decadal Survey directs --funding -- to mission priorities,

from determinations of scientists that are competing for the funding,
and all disagree with eachother.

excerpts
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...in/547907/
A year and a half after it was proposed, 
astronomers are still debating whether the giant mystery planet actually exists.

Quote:But other experts remain skeptical. 
Even the most basic facts are in dispute. 
Scientists with the Outer Solar System Origins Survey, or ossos, 
argue that Brown and Batygin’s data are actually biased Whip
by factors like bad weather and their telescope’s location, 
which could influence what’s seen and what’s missed, thereby introducing a spurious trend. 

“While my research is skeptical of this planet, 
that’s not at all to say there isn’t a planet out there,”  Doh
says Cory Shankman, an astronomer at the University of Victoria who led the research.

Shankman’s survey only covered one-twentieth of the sky, however. 
Other astronomers, such as those affiliated with the Dark Energy Survey, 
question their findings, 
just like Shankman questions Brown and Batygin’s. 
“The more objects you can find that bear on the story, 
the easier it is to talk about them as a population rather than a small handful of curiosities” 
says David Gerdes, a University of Michigan astrophysicist.

This lady scientist in the article disagrees with Mikey.
Her reason is the exact same one the famous Dr. P. used in the Infra Red astronomy data, 
back in the very early days of PX telescope searches,
when naval astronomer Harrington was involved.
Dr. P. -- aka -- Conley Powell -- later nuclear missile propulsion afficonado,
set several different masses and sizes to his proposed Planet X.
He eventually gave up and essentially stated what this lady said in bold print:

Quote:In the case of Planet Nine,
Ann-Marie Madigan, an astrophysicist at the University of Colorado Boulder, 
believes everyone has missed a key suspect. 
The gravitational forces in the outer solar system could be more complicated, 
and the unlikely alignment of those icy bodies could all be a temporary coincidence.

She argues that there are millions, if not billions, of planetoids—more than previously thought—
orbiting in that distant, dusty disk of material around our solar system. 
Most astronomers have assumed that the forces of these tiny objects are so small 
that they can be ignored in models, 
and it’s difficult to model their behavior. 
But Madigan includes them all in her models, and has found that, 
as they orbit over and over again, 
the nebulous pull of their gravity gently and gradually clumps some objects together over time. 
This “self-gravity” mechanism, as she calls it, 
could explain the other lines of evidence brought forth by Batygin as well.

“People think gravity’s dominated by Jupiter, Neptune, Uranus, and Saturn, 

and they’re not really thinking of the collective effects of all the smaller bodies,” 
Madigan says. 
“The main criticism I get from Planet Nine advocates 
is that there’s no evidence for such a mass of small bodies. 
But I don’t pay too much attention to that, because they haven’t seen Planet Nine yet either.”

oh well how about that

https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.03961
Producing Distant Planets by Mutual Scattering of Planetary Embryos

Quote:It is likely that multiple bodies with masses between those of Mars and Earth ("planetary embryos")
formed in the outer planetesimal disk of the solar system. 

Some of these were likely scattered by the giant planets
into orbits with semi-major axes of hundreds of AU. 

Mutual torques between these embryos may lift the perihelia of some of them beyond the orbit of Neptune, 
where they are no longer perturbed by the giant planets so their semi-major axes are frozen in place.

This post brought 2-u by the theorist behind the proposed existence of Planet Nine Arrow

This is Massive!

Massive astrophysical objects governed by subatomic equation
March 5, 2018, California Institute of Technology

[Image: massiveastro.jpg]
An artist's impression of research presented in Batygin (2018), MNRAS 475, 4. Propagation of waves through an astrophysical disk can be understood using Schrödinger's equation -- a cornerstone of quantum mechanics. Credit: James Tuttle Keane, California Institute of Technology

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics governing the sometimes-strange behavior of the tiny particles that make up our universe. Equations describing the quantum world are generally confined to the subatomic realm—the mathematics relevant at very small scales is not relevant at larger scales, and vice versa. However, a surprising new discovery from a Caltech researcher suggests that the Schrödinger Equation—the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics—is remarkably useful in describing the long-term evolution of certain astronomical structures.

The work, done by Konstantin Batygin, a Caltech assistant professor of planetary science and Van Nuys Page Scholar, is described in a paper appearing in the March 5 issue of Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Massive astronomical objects are frequently encircled by groups of smaller objects that revolve around them, like the planets around the sun. For example, supermassive black holes are orbited by swarms of stars, which are themselves orbited by enormous amounts of rock, ice, and other space debris. Due to gravitational forces, these huge volumes of material form into flat, round disks. These disks, made up of countless individual particles orbiting en masse, can range from the size of the solar system to many light-years across.

Astrophysical disks of material generally do not retain simple circular shapes throughout their lifetimes. Instead, over millions of years, these disks slowly evolve to exhibit large-scale distortions, bending and warping like ripples on a pond. Exactly how these warps emerge and propagate has long puzzled astronomers, and even computer simulations have not offered a definitive answer, as the process is both complex and prohibitively expensive to model directly.

While teaching a Caltech course on planetary physics, Batygin (the theorist behind the proposed existence of Planet Nine) turned to an approximation scheme called perturbation theory to formulate a simple mathematical representation of disk evolution. This approximation, often used by astronomers, is based upon equations developed by the 18th-century mathematicians Joseph-Louis Lagrange and Pierre-Simon Laplace. Within the framework of these equations, the individual particles and pebbles on each particular orbital trajectory are mathematically smeared together. In this way, a disk can be modeled as a series of concentric wires that slowly exchange orbital angular momentum among one another.

As an analogy, in our own solar system one can imagine breaking each planet into pieces and spreading those pieces around the orbit the planet takes around the sun, such that the sun is encircled by a collection of massive rings that interact gravitationally. The vibrations of these rings mirror the actual planetary orbital evolution that unfolds over millions of years, making the approximation quite accurate.

Using this approximation to model disk evolution, however, had unexpected results.

"When we do this with all the material in a disk, we can get more and more meticulous, representing the disk as an ever-larger number of ever-thinner wires," Batygin says. "Eventually, you can approximate the number of wires in the disk to be infinite, which allows you to mathematically blur them together into a continuum. When I did this, astonishingly, the Schrödinger Equation emerged in my calculations."

The Schrödinger Equation is the foundation of quantum mechanics:
It describes the non-intuitive behavior of systems at atomic and subatomic scales. One of these non-intuitive behaviors is that subatomic particles actually behave more like waves than like discrete particles—a phenomenon called wave-particle duality. Batygin's work suggests that large-scale warps in astrophysical disks behave similarly to particles, and the propagation of warps within the disk material can be described by the same mathematics used to describe the behavior of a single quantum particle if it were bouncing back and forth between the inner and outer edges of the disk.

The Schrödinger Equation is well studied, and finding that such a quintessential equation is able to describe the long-term evolution of astrophysical disks should be useful for scientists who model such large-scale phenomena. Additionally, adds Batygin, it is intriguing that two seemingly unrelated branches of physics—those that represent the largest and the smallest of scales in nature—can be governed by similar mathematics.

"This discovery is surprising because the Schrödinger Equation is an unlikely formula to arise when looking at distances on the order of light-years," says Batygin. "The equations that are relevant to subatomic physics are generally not relevant to massive, astronomical phenomena. Thus, I was fascinated to find a situation in which an equation that is typically used only for very small systems also works in describing very large systems."

"Fundamentally, the Schrödinger Equation governs the evolution of wave-like disturbances." says Batygin. "In a sense, the waves that represent the warps and lopsidedness of astrophysical disks are not too different from the waves on a vibrating string, which are themselves not too different from the motion of a quantum particle in a box. In retrospect, it seems like an obvious connection, but it's exciting to begin to uncover the mathematical backbone behind this reciprocity."

[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: Curious tilt of the sun traced to undiscovered planet

More information: Konstantin Batygin, Schrödinger evolution of self-gravitating discs, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (2018). DOI: 10.1093/mnras/sty162

Journal reference: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society [Image: img-dot.gif] [Image: img-dot.gif]
Provided by: California Institute of Technology

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-massive-as...n.html#jCp
EA[Image: esoobservati.jpg]
???
[Image: eckerphobos.jpg]
Quote:Dynamical effects

The dynamical effects of Planet Nine would explain five aspects of the Solar System: the clustering of the orbits of extreme trans-Neptunian objects (eTNOs); the high perihelia of objects like Sedna that are detached from Neptune's influence; the high inclinations of eTNOs with orbits roughly perpendicular to the plane of the Solar System, high inclination Kuiper belt objects with semi-major axis less than 100 AU, and the obliquity, or tilt, of the Sun's axis relative to the plane of the Solar System.[32] While other mechanisms have been offered for many of these peculiarities the gravitational influence of Planet Nine is the only one that explains all five. The dynamical effects of Planet Nine also excite the inclinations of scattering objects, which in numerical simulations leaves the inclination distribution of short-period comets with a broader distribution than is observed.[9]
ESO observations show first interstellar asteroid is like nothing seen before
[Image: 1x1.gif] November 20, 2017
For the first time ever astronomers have studied an asteroid that has entered the Solar System from interstellar space. Observations from ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile and other observatories around the world show that ...

[Image: 1-discoveryofc.jpg]
Discovery of cigar-shaped asteroid from outer space could help unveil secrets of extrasolar worlds
[Image: 1x1.gif] November 22, 2017
It came from outer space … and went back there two weeks later, having astonished and excited astronomers and planetary scientists. A cigar-shaped object, less than half a kilometre long and barely bright enough to be detected ...
[Image: interstellar.jpg]
Interstellar visitor shaped like giant fire extinguisher (Update)
[Image: 1x1.gif] November 16, 2017
A newly discovered object from another star system that's passing through ours is shaped like a giant pink fire extinguisher.

Astronomers capture first visiting object from outside our solar system
October 27, 2017

Credit: Queen's University Belfast
A Queen's University Belfast scientist is leading an international team in studying a new visitor to our solar system - the first known comet or asteroid to visit us from another star.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-10-astronomer...r.html#jCp

[Image: 59f387a12e1db.jpg]

The close fly-by of this star 70,000 years ago did not disturb all the hyperbolic objects of the solar system, only those that were closest to it at that time. "For example, the radiant of the famous interstellar asteroid 'Oumuamua is in the constellation of Lyra (the Harp), very far from Gemini, therefore it is not part of the detected over-density," says De la Fuente Marcos. He is confident that new studies and observations will confirm the idea that a star passed close to us in a relatively recent period.

Evidence that a star disturbed prehistory solar system comets
March 21, 2018, Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT)

[Image: astardisturb.jpg]
At a time when modern humans were beginning to leave Africa and the Neanderthals were living on our planet, Scholz's star approached less than a light-year. Credit: José A. Peñas/SINC
About 70,000 years ago, during human occupation of the planet, a small, reddish star approached our solar system and gravitationally disturbed comets and asteroids. Astronomers from the Complutense University of Madrid and the University of Cambridge have verified that the movement of some of these objects is still marked by that stellar encounter.

At a time when modern humans were beginning to leave Africa and the Neanderthals still thrived, Scholz's star—named after the German astronomer who discovered it—approached less than a light-year from the sun. Today, it is almost 20 light-years away, but 70,000 years ago, it entered the Oort cloud, a reservoir of trans-Neptunian objects located at the confines of the solar system.

This discovery was made public in 2015 by a team of astronomers led by Professor Eric Mamajek of the University of Rochester (USA). The details of that stellar flyby, the closest documented so far, were presented in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Now, two astronomers from the Complutense University of Madrid, the brothers Carlos and Raúl de la Fuente Marcos, together with the researcher Sverre J. Aarseth of the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), have analyzed for the first time nearly 340 solar system objects with hyperbolic orbits (very open V-shaped, rather than elliptical) They have concluded that the trajectories of some of these were influenced by the passage of Scholz's star.

"Using numerical simulations, we have calculated the radiants or positions in the sky from which all these hyperbolic objects seem to come," explains Carlos de la Fuente Marcos, a co-author of the study now published in Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

"In principle," he adds, "one would expect those positions to be evenly distributed in the sky, particularly if these objects come from the Oort cloud. However, what we find is very different—a statistically significant accumulation of radiants. The pronounced over-density appears projected in the direction of the constellation of Gemini, which fits the close encounter with Scholz's star."

The period in which this star passed through the Oort Cloud and its position during prehistory coincide with the data of the new investigation and in those of Mamajek and his team. "It could be a coincidence, but it is unlikely that both location and time are compatible," says De la Fuente Marcos, who points out that their simulations suggest that Scholz's star approached even more than the 0.6 light-years pointed out in the 2015 study as the lower limit.

The close fly-by of this star 70,000 years ago did not disturb all the hyperbolic objects of the solar system, only those that were closest to it at that time. "For example, the radiant of the famous interstellar asteroid 'Oumuamua is in the constellation of Lyra (the Harp), very far from Gemini, therefore it is not part of the detected over-density," says De la Fuente Marcos. He is confident that new studies and observations will confirm the idea that a star passed close to us in a relatively recent period.

Scholz's star is actually a binary system formed by a small red dwarf with about 9 percent of the mass of the sun, around which a much less bright and smaller brown dwarf orbits. It is likely that human ancestors saw its faint reddish light during prehistorical nights.

Explore further: 'Oumuamua likely came from a binary star system

More information: Carlos de la Fuente Marcos et al. Where the Solar system meets the solar neighbourhood: patterns in the distribution of radiants of observed hyperbolic minor bodies, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society: Letters (2018). DOI: 10.1093/mnrasl/sly019

Journal reference: Astrophysical Journal Letters
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society
Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society Letters [/url]
Provided by: [url=https://phys.org/partners/spanish-foundation-for-science-and-technology--fecyt-/]Spanish Foundation for Science and Technology (FECYT)

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-03-evidence-s...r.html#jCp
Planet Nine has company.
They went to Mikey's favorite -- Michele - hot sex on Planet X - Bannister to do the counter spin.
Interesting that they are employing her more and more often to be the official voice of:
"maybe it is, maybe it isn't, scientific double talk" -- aka -- NASA politically correct mumbo jumbo.

http://www.newsweek.com/planet-nine-evidence-grows-after-scientists-find-distant-object-extraordinary-929060
PLANET NINE EVIDENCE GROWS 
AFTER SCIENTISTS FIND DISTANT OBJECT WITH EXTRAORDINARY ORBIT
Now, an international team of researchers has reported the discovery of another distant world, 
possibly a dwarf planet, 
which has a bizarre orbit that it is likely being influenced by the ninth planet, they say.

The object, known as 2015 BP519, 
has an extraordinary orbit that’s tilted 54 degrees  Hi
in relation to the plane of most objects that orbit the Sun. 
After discovering it, the team tried to investigate 2015 BP519’s origins 
using computer simulations of the Solar System. 
However, 
these tests were not able to adequately explain how the object had ended with such an orbit.

But when the team added a ninth planet Whip
with properties exactly matching those predicted by the Caltech scientists in 2016, 
the orbit of 2015 BP519 suddenly made sense.

Some researchers, however, 
caution that Planet Nine may not be the only explanation for 2015 BP519’s strange orbit.

Michele Bannister   Hi
a planetary Sheep  astronomer from Queen’s University Belfast, in Ireland, 
{v-note -- she is a Canadian from Vancouver BC that writes pretty poetry}
who was not involved in the study, 
told Newsweek that while the latest findings were “a great discovery,” 
other scenarios could account for its tilt  Nonono

“This object is unusual because it’s on a high inclination,” she said.
“This can be used to maybe tell us some things about its formation process. 
There are a number of models Naughty  that suggest you can probably put objects like this  Tp
into the shape of orbit and the tilt of orbit that we see today.”

One way you can do this, according to Bannister, 
is to take into account the fact 
that the early solar system probably contained 10,000 dwarf planets, 
in comparison to the 20 or so known examples that currently exist—including Pluto. Rofl

The gravitational influence of these thousands of dwarf planets 
may have been sufficient to move 2015 BP519 into its orbit, for example. Rofl
Nevertheless, Bannister Doh  does not rule out the conclusions drawn by the new study.

yea, right, ... the ten thousand dwarf planets Michele discusses, populating "the early solar system",
they just went poof,
and disappeared.

I don't think so.