Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Awake New Horizons.
yeah, I'd have preferred they parked a craft around it.

however, that's not what they had planned.
I do have to give them this though- the logistics for that might have been a bit beyond what they could have pulled off.
at least in the time frame and budget they had.

the thing that disappoints me most is that we're not going to see the most interesting side of Pluto
(you know, the one with the large dark basins, the "donut" and all the ground 'squiggles'.

For all we know we may have missed evidence of a former type 2 civilization,
because there's not another body in our solar system that would make a better preserver of such evidence.
but then again, we might not have missed a thing

we'll be getting data returned for the next 16 months,
let's give the craft a chance to speak for itself
I'm sure we've got some more surprises in store

Here's my Pluto page, great images within!

http://thehiddenmission.com/Pluto/Pluto.htm
On a satellite I ride. Nothing down below can hide.
My Favorite.

[Image: 14pluto1-big.jpg]

Tombaugh has his Day.

Mysterious mountain revealed in first close-up of Pluto's moon Charon

July 17, 2015 by Ken Kremer, Universe Today

[Image: mysteriousmo.jpg]
This new image of an area on Pluto’s largest moon Charon has a captivating feature — a depression with a peak in the middle, shown here in the upper left corner of the inset. The image shows an area approximately 240 miles (390 kilometers) from top to bottom, including few visible craters. The image was taken at approximately 6:30 a.m. EDT on July 14, 2015, about 1.5 hours before closest approach to Pluto, from a range of 49,000 miles (79,000 kilometers). Credit: NASA-JHUAPL-SwRI

A mysterious mountain in the middle of a moat on Pluto's biggest moon Charon, has captivated and baffled scientists leading NASA's New Horizons mission which made history when it became the first spacecraft to visit our solar system's most distant planet barely two days ago on Tuesday morning, July 14, 2015.

NASA released the first close-up image of Charon today (July 16), shown above, and it has the geology team scratching their heads in amazement and wonder. They can't figure out the nature of a big mountain set inside a moat.
The new image shows a depression with a mountain peak in the middle.
"The most intriguing feature is a large mountain sitting in a moat," said Jeff Moore with NASA's Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, California, who leads New Horizons' Geology, Geophysics and Imaging team. "This is a feature that has geologists stunned and stumped."
The location of the "mountain in a moat" is shown in the inset of a global view of Charon.

The new high resolution image of Charon was taken at approximately 6:30 a.m. EDT (10:30 UTC), barely an hour and a half before the piano-shaped spacecraft's closest approach to Pluto on July 14, 2015, from a range of only 49,000 miles (79,000 kilometers).
The image was captured by New Horizons' high resolution Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI).
A much sharper view is yet to come, because the image is heavily compressed.
"Sharper versions are anticipated when the full-fidelity data from New Horizons' Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) are returned to Earth," say NASA officials.
Altogether it will take 16 months to transmit all the data collected by New Horizons at the Pluto system.

[Image: 1-mysteriousmo.jpg]
Crisp new view of Pluto’s largest moon, Charon shows a swath of cliffs and troughs stretches about 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) from left to right, suggesting widespread fracturing of Charon’s crust, likely a result of internal processes. At upper right, along the moon’s curving edge, is a canyon estimated to be 4 to 6 miles (7 to 9 kilometers) deep. Credit: NASA-JHUAPL-SwRI

The area in the LORRI image comprises an area approximately 240 miles (390 kilometers) from top to bottom.
Notably there are few visible craters "indicating a relatively young surface that has been reshaped by geologic activity."

[Image: 2-mysteriousmo.jpg]
Chasms, craters, and a dark north polar region are revealed in this image of Pluto’s largest moon Charon taken by New Horizons on July 11, 2015. The annotated version includes a diagram showing Charon’s north pole, equator, and central meridian, with the features highlighted. Credit: NASA/JHUAPL/SWRI

And a "swath of cliffs and troughs stretching about 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) suggests widespread fracturing of Charon's crust, likely the result of internal geological processes," notes the team.
After a nine year voyage through interplanetary space, New Horizons barreled past the Pluto system on Tuesday, July 14 for a history making first ever flyby at over 31,000 mph (49,600 kph), and survived the passage by swooping barely 7,750 miles (12,500 kilometers) above the planet's amazingly diverse surface.
[Image: 1x1.gif] Explore further: A full day on Pluto-Charon
Source:: Universe Today

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-07-mysterious-...o.html#jCp
Along the vines of the Vineyard.
With a forked tongue the snake singsss...
(am watching the NH press 1pm conference)
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/

oh my, Ms Emily just asked the best question yet to the New Horizons Team.
you are awesome Ma'am!

She basically just asked them if they'd be giving us "amateur image processors" new raw image data
because they quit downloading image data today to focus on other long spanning data downloads

and she got told that yes they would be releasing them, but no they wouldn't be, and for reasons that to me (and perhaps to her also) sounded pretty unconvincing.
They're going to do weekly releases, starting whenever they decide.
I could plainly see the disappointment in her face, I was disappointed as well, as should be you all, because we thrive on them

Yes, Emily, welcome to our world. They do not readily share the good stuff with us and then wonder why many think what they do about them.

it's been like that since before Apollo and further along to the present- as you just saw, and as I have experienced

Long have I awaited with baited breath and white knuckles the barest sniff of any true raw, un-retouched and uncompressed data and images from every mission that's come down the pike since I was a child.
See- this is my passion, the Earth, Moon, Mars, the planets.. they're my family-
I set in my mind long ago the desire to learn their stories
what they are, what they've been and what happened to them- that is my story, and yours, as well a story whose future is the destiny of us all
This tale is extraordinarily more incredible and amazingly more sad, joyous, and beautiful than ever let known

but... that is how they do. We just have to wait it out.
Bad thing is... they probably have a LOT more images and data than they're showing.
After all the praise I've handed out to them over the last few days, 
I have to be honest and say that the latest image is of a very most interesting terrain 
but is plainly TERRIBLE

Are there no other images you could show us that aren't totally blockine'd out?

[Image: pluto_heart_of_the_heart_03.jpg]

I'm just linking this one from their site, I see no need to even try to make this mess better or host it on mine

however, i am no quitter, and I'm pretty good at some things...

[Image: pluto_heart_of_the_heart_03NR.jpg]
(07-17-2015, 06:51 PM)Keith Wrote: After all the praise I've handed out to them over the last few days, 
I have to be honest and say that the latest image is of a very most interesting terrain 
but is plainly TERRIBLE

Are there no other images you could show us that aren't totally blockine'd out?

[Image: pluto_heart_of_the_heart_03.jpg]

I'm just linking this one from their site, I see no need to even try to make this mess better or host it on mine

however, i am no quitter, and I'm pretty good at some things...

[Image: pluto_heart_of_the_heart_03NR.jpg]

That rather settles the possibility that the lower right of the image is pitted terrain and not entirely blockines.

Therefore Aeolian processes and Insolation may be at hand.

That is current ongoing weathering...

An awesome binary planet system and their four little moons.

You may have missed it through the flash in the pan fly-bye and so for all the members to remember:

Reality is as improv was.

EA: Sunday, December 7th, 2014, 05:26 pm

Quote: The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory manages the New Horizons mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate. Alan Stern, of the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) is the principal investigator and leads the mission; SwRI leads the science team, payload operations, and encounter science planning. New Horizons is part of the New Frontiers Program managed by NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. APL designed, built and operates the New Horizons spacecraft.

For New Horizons, Russell Watson Records Special Version of €˜

"Where My Heart Will Take Me"€™

Feature Link:
[Image: russell_nh.jpg?itok=z1aq9h5J]
Listen to it here..
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/mp3/wakeup.htm
A Musical Wake-Up

New Horizons joins the astronauts on four space shuttle missions who “woke up” to English tenor Russell Watson’s inspirational "Where My Heart Will Take Me" €“ in fact, Watson himself recorded a special greeting and version of the song to honor New Horizons! The song was played in New Horizons mission operations upon confirmation of the spacecraft’s wake-up on Dec. 6.
This improvised research tool is Dedicated to: Clyde Tombaugh
[Image: tombaugh.jpg]
"Where My Heart Will Take Me"
[Image: pluto-lastviewbeforeCA.jpg]
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/mp3/wakeup.htm was as Tombaugh Reggio is.

Full Circle.
http://thehiddenmission.com/forum/showth...p?tid=6752

Hmmm...

Quote:http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/mp3/wakeup.htm
MP3
MP3 Menu

Frequently Lost Pages Looks like you got lost in space.
Unfortunately the page you requested does not exist on this site anymore.
Use the navigation above to continue your journey!
If you need help finding something, or have feedback - email us!
Lost in space was as profound is found.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vp-EyzDMpFE/VQ...is%2B1.jpg

Nice Song for his kids to reminisce...
Russell Watson's Version of: €˜

"Where My Heart Will Take Me"€™

[Image: 150706-tombaugh-_am_0149_d2ce49bf9f8e200...60-360.jpg]
Tombaugh Reggio beats on...
It has a pulse source.

It's been a long road
Getting from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near
And I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No, they're not gonna hold me down

'Cause I've got faith of the heart
I'm going where my heart will take me
I've got faith to believe
I can do anything
I've got strength of the soul
And no one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith
I've got faith, faith of the heart

It's been a long night
Trying to find my way
Been through the darkness
Now I finally have my day
And I will see my dream come alive at last
I will touch the sky
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No, they're not gonna change my mind

I can do anything
I can reach any star

I've known the wind so cold, I've seen the darkest days
But now the winds I feel, are only winds of change
I've been through the fire and I've been through the rain
But I'll be fine

I can do anything
I can reach any star

No one's gonna bend or break me
I can reach any star
I've got faith
It's been a long road

Read more: Russell Watson - Where My Heart Will Take Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics
Heart 
Wow. Holycowsmile

Arrow  Tombaugh remained present during the flyby... well I'll be!

New Horizons has a number of objects, including an American flag, the state quarters of Maryland and Florida, the ashes of Pluto discoverer Clyde Tombaugh and a CD with more than 400,000 names, including former TV host Bill Nye "The Science Guy" and Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla Motors and SpaceX.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2015-07-pluto-horiz...a.html#jCp
Entertainment

quote:
captivated and baffled scientists Whip

quote:
a feature that has geologists stunned and stumped Whip

quote:
pose for Playboy wearing her bonnet and spectacles  Applause

doesn't get any better than all that

but yes it does,
that cleaning up of the Pluto image that Keith did is amazing. 
Take note Miss Emily. 
You get your best images, right here.
The difference of quality in the the two images is extreme.

so in the article EA posted:

Peaks on Pluto, canyons on Charon
July 16, 2015 by By Marcia Dunn 
the "principal scientist" quoted directly is Alan Stern.

this is a book on Pluto and Charon by Stern ca. 1997
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=0816518408

this link ... is pages 257 --- aeoilan processes of Pluto
258 image Triton aeolian compared to Pluto
259 more of such text to then very soon end the book.

at this link as well you can backtrack pages from the book.
It provides very interesting reading on the science and knowledge of Pluto in 1997.

https://books.google.com/books?id=VcY7iY...to&f=false

lots of camparisons of Pluto to Triton
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Participate/comm...lutos-Twin
Is Pluto Triton's twin?

triton terrains
http://explanet.info/Chapter12.htm

see google Triton images as well for cantaloupe terrain

8 km ice geysers location in south polar region Triton

http://www.heretika.com/newworlds/wp-con...9/14bg.jpg
I wouldn't be so quick to discount that particular image.

Just an opinion.

First, this is a somewhat odd image. The pixels run exactly horizontally and vertically BUT
the other blocky pattern runs at an angle to the horizontal.

This potentially implies that the pattern we see (which resembles agricultural subdivisions on Earth) may
indeed be present. No, there are no tractors running around, it was just the first similar pattern that came to mind.

As a matter of fact, even NASA has identified the "pattern" as potentially being there.

They call it "Irregularly-shaped segments".

Portion of Pluto’s Sputnik Planum (Sputnik Plain)
Release Date: July 17, 2015

From: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science-Photos/image.php?page=1&gallery_id=2&image_id=240

This annotated view of a portion of Pluto’s Sputnik Planum (Sputnik Plain), named for Earth’s first artificial
satellite, shows an array of enigmatic features. The surface appears to be divided into irregularly shaped
segments that are ringed by narrow troughs, some of which contain darker materials. Features that appear to be
groups of mounds and fields of small pits are also visible. This image was acquired by the Long Range

Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) on July 14 from a distance of 48,000 miles (77,000 kilometers). Features as
small as a half-mile (1 kilometer) across are visible. The blocky appearance of some features is due to
compression of the image.

Make up your minds people!

"The surface appears to be divided into irregularly shaped segments"
"The blocky appearance of some features is due to compression of the image."

[Image: u6JtaP.jpg]

There are also Troughs (which implies fissures or cracks), Dark material within Troughs, Hills,
and Pitted surfaces

Let's take a closer look at these areas.

First, the Irregularly shaped segments

[Image: s4y0FD.jpg]

Second, the Troughs

[Image: IEYbys.jpg]

Third, the Dark material within Troughs

[Image: 8LXFkx.jpg]

Fourth, Hills

[Image: HCLTZe.jpg]

And finally, Pitted surfaces.

[Image: 35TKZX.jpg]

Reminds me of the surface we saw on Mars.
Some of this surface has a three dimensional look to it, but that's just my observation.

Mellow
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.<br />Aldous Huxley
w-w-...what?   Doh

well, just because it's your opinion does not mean it isn't totally wrong.

That's a 10/1 compressed image, those are compression artifacts!
Were they not, the DNR doink-head would not have removed them.

Good lord man, learn about imaging before jumping.

and the term 'irregular shaped segments' is referring to the actual polygons that are covering the image

See 'em? they're all over, they are irregular as in the troughs do not segment them entirely from each other.

Compression artis are not features, they are noise.
they obscure this otherwise wonderful image, as well as both new Charon images
Photo 
Another question i have about this is..
Where the hell is our mosaic image at?

We were supposed to get one the 16th

all I'm seeing is the thumb of it that people have lifted from the video at the NH and NASA sites

We know they have it, because here it is

[Image: pluto_surface.jpg]

however this particular image is not in any archive like the rest of them are.

This is alarming. we get the blockine version of the polygons, and the video captured image of the mosaic.
I'm a little grumpy this morning after digesting and sleeping on all the events of yesterday, and the past few days for that matter.

this has pretty much fired me up, (besides that I'm also more than a little upset about the rover wheels http://thehiddenmission.com/forum/showth...?tid=13892 )

pfft...  give us yer crappy lil images and hoard the good stuff

sigh...
but hey, I'm not about destructive, but trying to be a creative cosmic force for knowledge and good etc

Remember the image they showed us in the NH press conference of Hydra?

I almost fell off my chair.
again, w-w-WHAT??

[Image: nh-hydra_1_0.jpg]

Now i realize that in all truity that they had to enlarge it extremely and it's a mere handful of pixels, however...
it's not like you cannot easily take the sharp edges off those and use the image's brightness values to show us at least a good hint of the actual shape and maybe a couple surface details...like this

[Image: HailHydra-avg-gb.jpg]
Alemos knows those are compression artifacts Keith.
That is how Alemos gets his jollies when he follies.

He picks out a peach pit of an image, dresses it with a wig and makeup, 
and tries to turn it into an inflatable rag doll on LSD.
He fornicates his rag doll with his pencil dick arrows pointing into every orifice and tummy tuck,
and pastes his labels like tattoos over the whole body.
He essentially has sex with the image and then pukes on it with nonsense commentary.

One however, 
could somewhat match the compressed artifacts image to the spongiform encepalopathies Whip
blooming in Alemos skull.
The "irregular shaped segments" and the "troughs" are the low relief remnants
of the convolutions in his brain.
The "hills" are budding brain tumors, 
and the "dark material within the troughs",
are exposure contamination 
from ingesting Lincoln's infective prionic shitcakes, and thus the resultant buildup of encepalopathic material.
The "pitted surfaces" are where the spongiform plaques have eaten away at decaying brain matter.

When Alemos does seldomly post a good image with interesting valid content full of arrows and labels ,
I am always the first one to give him credit.
But when he plays the coy boy peanut gallery choir whore, then he needs to be given credit for that to.

Keith says,

Quote: Another question i have about this is..
Where the hell is our mosaic image at?

In Alan Stern's back pocket for the time being.

They also may have to wash it clean of anything perceiveably controversial before public release.
That can take time to bubble scrub each compression artifact for Lincoln to defend as true grit.

Or they are just being obsequiously obstinate and ornery when it comes to their image releases.
yes, that's it.
Cranky old goat scientists like Lincoln, who are all secretly in love with Planetary Evangelists like Emily,
but cannot admit it.

Everybody loves Miss Emily.
All those NASA male scientists over the age of 50, are quietly drooling to dally in the valley.
NASA needs to release some new Ceres images,
so that poor Miss Emily can keep those ogling old goat horn-dog scientists occupied with fresh raw data.

Maybe that is why there is so much compression artifact nonsense in their images.
They can't keep their eyes off of Miss Emily's centerfold profile in Playboy long enough to do their proper work.

NASA, send us some new Ceres images please, and I will leave the boobsey twins Lincoln and Alemos alone.
And I will:
Worship Miss Emily with punctual praise and prose in perpetuity.

Worship Charlie Smoke Tan Whip

NASA just found something big hiding out behind Pluto

NASA and the team behind its New Horizons spacecraft announced today that Pluto — the dwarf planet — has a giant tail.

It's not a physical tail like a dog's, of course, but rather a frigid cloud of ionized gases trailing an estimated 48,000 to 68,000 miles behind Pluto, according to a NASA press release.

This giant tail is actually part of Pluto's atmosphere. Except that the bits of atmosphere are being stripped away by solar wind, a torrent of electrically charged particles that constantly pours out of the sun in all directions.

"We see the atmosphere way far out," Randy Gladstone, a New Horizons coinvestigator at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, said during a NASA press conference on Friday. "We see it from the ground out to 1,000 miles above the surface."

Because Pluto is such a tiny planet — it's a fraction of a percent as massive as the Earth — its atmosphere escapes directly into space, Gladstone said.

Gladstone and others discovered the tail after examining data from the Solar Wind Around Pluto (SWAP) instrument on the New Horizons spacecraft. The device found an anomaly in the solar wind around the dwarf planet: A depression composed of nitrogen ions. This depression is the tail, and it extends an unknown length behind the planet.

"We have actually flown through this [tail]," Fran Bagenal, a New Horizons coinvestigator from the University of Colorado at Boulder, said during the press conference.
Ionized gas forms when a bunch of energy pummels atmospheric atoms and molecules. This bombardment pops electrons off the atmospheric gas particles, allowing their electrons to freely circulate. The end result is plasma: A fourth state of matter after solids, liquids, and gases.

As far as we know, plasma is the most common state of matter in the universe. There's simply a lot of energy pouring out of stars, and a lot of gas in space to form plasma. So while it might seem surprising, plasma tails like Pluto's aren't new. They even exist behind other planets in the solar system, including Venus and Mars.

The team still hasn't determined the precise shape of Pluto's newly discovered tail. They also don't know exactly how the was formed.
So NASA is anxiously waiting for New Horizons to beam back more data. By August the team hopes to calculate how fast Pluto is losing its atmosphere to space — and, likewise, how quickly the icy world is shrinking.

[Image: NASA_just_found_something_big-5b2e6c4ed2...dc8ce2772a]
Seek and ye shall find. JESUS
------------------------------------------
I am a recovering vegetarian   Hi
Actually pluto's colouring has nice ginger genes.

[Image: laksix]

Great analogy with the playboy photo-retouching vic.

[Image: lakdawalla-emily_headshot_0359_print_f840.jpg]

Instant Heart On!!!(pluto that is...)

[Image: Emily_Lakdawalla_at_FameLab_at_LPSC_2013...justed.jpg]

Looks nice in jeans too!!!

Yep mayito itza nice evidential infographical piece of tail... Eye On Wise(ionwise that is...)

Quote:Stern said that the data also showed a huge concentration of carbon monoxide within the heart-shaped region, named Tombaugh Regio after Pluto’s discoverer Clyde Tombaugh. He said the source of the deadly compound was yet unknown, but that its density in the heart “definitely catches our eye because across the rest of this disk there’s no other carbon monoxide concentration”.

The scientists also announced that Pluto has an ion tail, the result of its atmosphere escaping and ionizing when its nitrogen interacts with photons from the sun. Researcher Fran Bagenal said that based on models and “a pretty good guess”, she expects Pluto’s atmosphere is escaping at a rate of about 500 tons per hour, hundreds of times faster than the escape of Mars’s atmosphere.

[Image: NASA_just_found_something_big-5b2e6c4ed2...dc8ce2772a]

look what else eye found...

Stern said that the data also showed a huge concentration of carbon monoxide within the heart-shaped region, named Tombaugh Regio after Pluto’s discoverer Clyde Tombaugh.

He said the source of the deadly compound was yet unknown, but that its density in the heart “definitely catches our eye because across the rest of this disk there’s no other carbon monoxide concentration”.

This is just a preliminary rough sketch:

the source density.

[Image: 19618828069_493e10622f_o.jpg]
Yes, she's a really hot babe. 
... the sidewalks sizzle with steam when she footsteps into NASA on her way to work.

Love those tennis shoes.
You look at her in those jeans in the second image, 
and your eyes just go right to the valley of the dally.

Smoke

and you know that everybody just took a quick peak at that second image of her in tight jeans Whip

She is absoluetly gorgeous in the first image  Luv
and
the second image  Hi
and
the third image too! Applause

If she grew out that red hair to flow long on her shoulders, 
she could be in Hollywood starring with David Craig in James Bond and the Treasure of the Olympus Mons.

But then I have a weakness for young red heads.
Goes back to when I was 45 and had a young 21 year old red head grad student as my GF,
who absolutely had the tightest finest valley on the planets Earth, Mars or Pluto.
I wanted to die when she left me for a NASA space scientist.

Rofl

Miss Emily must drive those old  horn-dog male goat scientists at NASA, just willy nilly and silly. 
She could use some bigger titties, 
and I bet that if she put on a couple of pounds of weight, it would all go right there.
But I bet that what she has there is ... definitively "ample" {credit Carol Maltby for descriptive analogies}

Everybody loves Miss Emily.
Everybody in the whole dang galaxy, especially Lincoln and Buzz Aldrin.

Worship Miss Emily and her hopefully to be Worship long red hair Worship flowing down on her shoulders.

She's smart too!

gotta love Ms Emily! 

Rotatingheart
the 'other' heart of Pluto

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of making her "planetary Evangelist"
So EA, you're saying the great CO spot is at ~19.5?

Hmm2  indeed
If Lincoln isn't into that...
How about this redhead.

[Image: anger7.jpg]

Jack Parson's (JPL FOUNDER) Whacky ole' lady:
Marjorie Cameron

[Image: KAN_Scarlet_Woman_Margorie_Cameron.jpg]

Nice Whacky Mole eh? mayito?

[Image: a3ca9a_c3aff92ab769a932452d799c5417325a.jpg]
Que whacky mole???

A Marvel Whiteside Parson Person... Marjorie Cameron Parsons Kimmel, a.k.a. Cameron (1922-1995), an artist, performer and black magic practitioner influenced by Aleister Crowley.
A Babylon Babe! Eye work for you.

[Image: 19811916971_97f19b2bce_o.jpg]

(07-18-2015, 04:23 PM)Keith Wrote: So EA, you're saying the great CO spot is at ~19.5?

Hmm2  indeed

I need more data.
lol.... ok,

Not sure I'd group her in there with babalon working or Marj...

Doh

Lmao

I think her magic lies entirely elsewhere, 

but i bet ole jack would've been cutting flips over her nonetheless

[Image: wparsons.jpg]
besides the image of Hydra above, I've added NIX to the collection as well

[Image: nix.jpg]

and I cleaned up the Charon closeup as well as can be without wiping it of details (damn compression artis)

[Image: charon-closeup.jpg]
Miss Emily's picture with her fabulous blue dress on, even has me distracted.
Love those earrings!
She's a real beauty.
Prettier than the finest antique jade carving of Kuan Yin.
More delicately refined than the best imperial 18th century Qianlong porcelain.
Tiffany diamond jewelry and Faberge gold can't match her beauty.

Smoke

warm and fuzzy cuddles, and snuggie buggies in dreamland,
see how wonderful things can be when we get quality images from NASA?
Miss Emily Luv  we would love to see some more images of Ceres, and hear your opinion on the LM -- Laney Mons. 

Lincoln, thinks it is a "lunar module". 
he's so funny!
he is such a wild card! 
The one eyed Jack of Tards, when he talks like that.
Like Quasimodo limping and simping around the Griffith Observatory with a broom and dustpan telling JPL jokes.

On that Charon image and the oddball angular object sticking out of the shallow rabbit hole.
Not everything comes in at high speed in impacts in space.
Seeing how there are lots of objects floating about nearby,  
I was wondering what a very low speed impact of an object that size into soft Charon crust would result in, or look like?
Looks like it's out there in the middle of giant frozen mud flats.
There is a lot of water ice in the surface of Charon. 
It would have to be a perfect strike perpendicular to the surface for that scenario to stick, so it is quite unlikely.
If coming in at angle, it would either bounce and scrape along the surface and embed at some point, or just bounce off?
Depends on the angle.
Too many questions and not enough valid image data.
They should have parked in orbit around Pluto and taken images for the next two months.

So it is a harder denser feature protruding from softer less dense material that has worn or sublimated away?
Is it attached to a much larger mass below the surface?
Could there be a heat component involved?
Are we going to get more images of the canyons on Charon?
How the heck do you demote a planet?

Quote:Fixed to the upper deck of NASA's New Horizons space probe that whizzed past the icy world on Tuesday evening

were some of the man's ashes. 

He died before it was demoted to a dwarf planet in 2006.

Tombaugh's will be the first human remains to leave the solar system if the probe survives its extended journey.

Maybe on the next probe they can send his remaining ashes wrapped in an American flag,
and jettison them to the surface of the planet.

I am glad that they clarified that his were the first human ... remains ... to leave the solar system.
Because he wasn't the first human to do that.
But that is off topic.

Stern ultimately wanted to go to the Kuiper Belt more than he wanted to stay and study Pluto.
That is why they did the Fly  Hi Bye, imo.
I bet he wishes he hadn't sped the probe past the planet like a race horse on steroids,
galloping away to the finish line in the Kuiper belt.
Angel

we already posted this content
but it is worth taking a second look in reference to Pluto's surface.

Quote:Scientists have found vast frozen plains next door to Pluto's big, rugged mountains of water ice.

Scientists speculate internal heating — perhaps from volcanoes or geysers— 
might be responsible for these youthful-looking, crater-free regions.

There are two theories being considered. 
Perhaps the plains were shaped by the contraction of surface materials, 
similar to what happens when mud dries, said NASA.

Or, they could be formed by a process called convection, 
where by some kind of heat from Pluto's interior reshapes the surface layer of frozen carbon monoxide, 
methane and nitrogen.

"These are the early days of a close encounter analysis," said Moore.
"As extraordinary and provocative as these images are, 

we are in the most preliminary stages of our investigations. 
We are still entertaining the widest range of hypotheses. 
We are acutely aware that jumping to conclusions Whip ... leads to great peril."

And that is why we don't get too much feedback from Emily on Laney Mons.
They  have to chew their food for a month before they swallow their own spin.

They prioritise watching their own asses stay clean at the expense of the public funding for their missions.
You KNOW,
that Emily has opinions abundant on both Pluto and Ceres geologies,
but the internal power struggles within NASA basically have a silent and shadow gag order 
invoked on the scientists therein these missions,
to shut the fuck up on intricate detailed speculations, until the white wash is bleached spotless.

It has to be an official statement of procedure, policy and purpose wrapped up in a washing machine load
of freshly laundered data to be publicly released for public consumption.

Emily, you need to break away from the NASA droogdom Smoke
of old goat NASA military industrial complex style information control, 
image manipulation or garbage mission image releases,
and excuses offerd ad nauseum as to the what where and why of anything seen in those images.

Tell the Stooges that their game is so shallow that a lab monkey could see through it, 
and just about everybody else can clearly see that: 
what is image and information released,
is a chokehold of constraints on the true objctives and resultant conclusions that should be revealed.

you need to tell them to get off their white horse and shovel their own horseshit

Stooges at NASA info control ---->  Horsepoop < ---- they make Emily and others essentially shovel their shit.

She will disagree, 
and she can play the angel in disguise for them,
but they have clipped her wings no matter how she wants to spin that.

I bet Alan Stern is sick of the power struggles with these Pluto mission control fat heads.
Or maybe he is the fat head with a team of droogs.
Dunno, 
but he seems to be much better than that.

NASA could do so much better in their global media presentations.
Those silly images full of compression artifacts, and blurry bullshit are just one example.
Sewing the mouths of scientists shut,
until the stitches are removed for a public statement,
and distributing nonsense about "pyramids" on Ceres,
as a venue to clump any counter opinions from a plethora of sources,
all into one basket of clowns that NASA wants the generic public to believe is the case,
isn't working anymore. Nonono

You idiots shot yourselves in the foot Rofl
when you tried to play the pyramid card on the LM,
as a venue to denigrate all the counter opinions out there on Ceres, 
of what NASA relegates as a torrent of "conspiracists".

The white spots on Ceres were a grand distraction.
The Pluto mission has a spacecraft that flew past Pluto like it was the starting line in the Kentuicky Derby. 

The torrent of obfuscation by the NASA information and image releases becomes standard issue "science".
Their tidal wave of junk commentary is just as bad in these mission information releases. 
They are rife with disclaimers and dictation on who knows what and who doesn't.

What has essentially been apparent is that in order to maitain information control,
they have to admit
that they really didn't know 
lincoln's shitcakes from shinola bars 
as evidenced by this in their laundered disclaimer:

Quote:"As extraordinary and provocative as these images are, 

we are in the most preliminary stages of our investigations. 

We are acutely aware that jumping to conclusions Whip ... leads to great peril."

But prior to any of these missions  Naughty
their Ceres, Mars and Pluto "hypotheses" ...
were always the sacrosanct definitions of what existed on these planets. 
Any counter opinions offered by sources such as this forum,
were ideas that were trashed by the same group that now is back pedaling 
and coughing up repetive discalimers
like a pneumonia of phlegmatic excuses.  

All of a sudden, 
all of that is tossed out the window, and their babies in the bath water are scowling at them.

Quote:... we are in the most preliminary stages of our investigations. 

We are acutely aware that jumping to conclusions Whip ... leads to great peril."

no, 
you are in the preliminary stages of laundering your old outdated hypotheses, 
and resultant errant conclusions.

Your turn Emily.
Tell the old goats that won't release the goods to the public,
that their testicles are shrinking fast,
and the slowly decaying pendulum swing of their balls as they balk,
and walk away from the guts and glory of the truth, 
has run out of time and space.

Time for Emily to take over.

NASA's number one Planetary Evangelist needs to have an honest conversation with God.
NASA's number one sex symbol and beauty queen has the power and the Right Stuff
to bringe these NASA stooges and droogs to their knees.

... or is it all about the money Emily?
... The paycheck and who writes it? 
... the retirement plan and climbing the steps of the ladder to the top of the stooge chain?
... the international stage lights and the laundered press releases?

Show us the money we spent on these missions!
Where are all the images?
Where are all the quality images?
Make Benjamin Franklin proud to be a NASA mission money donor.

Who ultimately were the big boys at NASA that decided to send the craft flying past Pluto
like a bat out of hell with a winky blink of image takes?

When do we get close ups of Lany Mons and the rest of Ceres?
Why don't we see images in the descent from 2400 miles to 900 miles?

It's all on your pretty shoulders now, Emily.
Don't let us down.
The whole world is counting on you to be the truth,
the whole truth,
and nothing but the truth.
God's will and love, to guide your way in the NASA cesspool of:

Quote: We are acutely aware that jumping to conclusions Whip ... leads to great peril."

no guts
no glory
no schmutz spots
no story

Why is heating from heavy element radio-isotopes in the core not considered a possibility for the recent resurfacing of Pluto?  I have not seen anything about that hypothesis.  Did I miss it?  Is 4 billion years too long considering the half-life decay times?  Hmm2
(07-19-2015, 04:11 AM)Vianova Wrote: That is why they did the Fly Bye, imo.
I bet he wishes he hadn't sped the probe past the planet like a race horse on steroids,

I bet he doesn't, and you know why? Simple arithmetic. New Horizons was launched in January 2006. If the mission profile had been designed to allow Pluto capture, meaning arriving at less than the breakneck speed it actually did, it would not have arrived until 2022.

Stern was born in 1957. In 2022 he'll either be dead or 65. Retirement age.
V says:

Quote:That is why they did the Fly Bye, imo.

Lincoln says:

Quote:I bet he doesn't, and you know why?
Simple arithmetic Rofl 
New Horizons was launched in January 2006.

If the mission profile had been designed to allow Pluto capture, 

meaning arriving at less than the breakneck speed it actually did, 
it would not have arrived until 2022.

Well then they should have waited until 2022 to  slow down and go into orbit around Pluto.

The mission design profile should have allowed the Pluto orbits and imaging etc,
then left for the Kuiper belt, if it was still intact.

My other comment was:

Quote:The Pluto mission has a spacecraft that flew past Pluto,
like it was the starting line in the Kentucky Derby. 

Thanks for confirming that with this horse race comment:

Quote:...  had been designed to allow Pluto capture,
meaning arriving at less than ....the breakneck speed it actually did

Then Lincoln buries Alan Stern like an old race horse put out to pasture a decade too late.
Quote:Stern was born in 1957.
...................... In 2022 he'll either be dead Whip  
or 65 Jawdrop 
Retirement Whip age  Whip

right Linc' Rofl
Stern will be no doubt be an invalid in a wheelchair incapable of doing science of any consequence,

you Pennywise  

and
bowl 
full of  Whip
sour 
cherry 
pits.

Drivin' and Drinkin' with Hot Rod Lincoln 
quotes:

Breakneck Speed.
Death and Retirement.
Mission design profile.
Simple Arithmetic.

Lincoln and the lunkheads in mission design profile doing simple arithmetic.
Linc' is in the middle.

[Image: three-stooges-football.jpg]

Stern would have to state that the Kuiper Belt objectives were more important than Pluto,
regardless 
of initial mission design with the space craft racing there at "breakneck speed", 
to get there in a timely fashion as you suggest.

Nobody bent their arms and made them opt for the Kuiper Belt in by passing Pluto like that.

They could have just gone to Worship Pluto only.
They could have just as easily performed that proper Pluto mission,
with the one fucking chance they had Linc',
and then if successful, 
opted to reprioritise the mission to go to the Kuiper belt.

Budget excuses, my ass.
Stern dieing or relegated to the wheelchair, my ass.

They threw Worship Pluto under the old storage room carpet.
The rolled out the red carpet for the ride to the Kuiper Belt.
Their reasons for that go far beyond any fuel, and mission design mumbo jumbo.
Somebody decided that the Kuiper Belt objects were more important.
If not,
then the "mission design profile" in 2006,
was based at best upon sketchy and faulty scientific data employed,
and numerous faulty conclusions on the substance of Pluto itself being so utterly incredible.

"the stunned and flabbergasted sceintists"

"the geophysicists sent back to their drawing boards"

Lincoln, aside from all that,
and excusing the original mission design profile on Stern's imminent demise before the year 2022,
... what do you think?

Should they have stuck around long enough for a popsicle to melt,
or should they have baked the chocolate cake in the oven for a few orbits,
and investigated Pluto more throroughly with the chance that they had?

Which do you think is more important to scientifically investigate?
Worship Pluto or the Doh Kuiper Belt objects that they are headed for?

Maybe they will get lucky out there with some great new images and revelations.
I certainly hope so.
It is even more important now that the mission succeeds,
after barely knocking on Pluto's door, and their resultant "mission design profile" Fly  Hi Bye.

(07-19-2015, 06:12 PM)Vianova Wrote: Budget excuses, my ass.
Stern dieing or relegated to the wheelchair, my ass.

It's your ass, then. How would you like that, barbecued or au gratin?
Lincoln's response is symptomatic of NASA problems.
He throws Stern under the bus, 
and then thinks he is Slick the Funnybone Pennywise  with a two sentence response.

Linc' Whip

no guts
no glory
no schmutz spots
no story

He conveniently evades any answers so as to cover his ass from penetration by his head.
I will try again.

Quote:Lincoln, aside from all that,
and excusing the original mission design profile on Stern's imminent demise before the year 2022,
... what do you think?

Should they have stuck around long enough for a popsicle to melt,
or should they have baked the chocolate cake in the oven for a few orbits,
and investigated Pluto more throroughly with the chance that they had?

Which do you think is more important to scientifically investigate?
[Image: worship.gif] Pluto or the [Image: doh.gif] Kuiper Belt objects Gangup  that they are headed for?

another poem defines Lincoln

he's just dummy dust
on beached spacecraft rust
Lincoln is drinking and driving
Lincoln is thinking about crying
no guts 
no glory
only schmutz spots
in all his stories
Lincoln is slinking and jiveing
Lincoln is sinking while he is lieing
dummy dust
on beached spacecraft rust 
is corrosion you cannot trust

Smoke

Miss Emily .. you lovebug you  Luv

what do you think?

Pluto or the Kuiper belt or both?

(07-19-2015, 07:47 PM)Vianova Wrote: Lincoln's response is symptomatic of NASA problems.

You really don't get it, do you? Neither I nor Emily Lackdawalla have any connection to NASA.
edited, shit is all f-ed up with quote function and font, I spend half the time trying to fix the problem

Deo says:

Quote:Why is heating from heavy element radio-isotopes in the core not considered a possibility 
fo
r the recent resurfacing of Pluto?  
I have not seen anything about that hypothesis.  
Did I miss it?  Is 4 billion years too long considering the half-life decay times?  

see quote:

Quote:... we are in the most preliminary stages of our investigations. 
We are acutely aware that jumping to conclusions [Image: whip.gif] ... leads to great peril."

they did say this:

Quote:Scientists speculate internal heating — perhaps from volcanoes or geysers— 
might be responsible for these youthful-looking, crater-free regions.

Your guess is as good as theirs at this point.

Then there is the carbon monoxide zone on Pluto.

Platinum and gold mines up for claim?

Lincoln dummy dust on beached spacecraft rust,
says

Quote:You really don't get it, do you? Neither I nor Emily Lackdawalla have any connection to NASA.

Doesn't matter, your ---> you Lincoln --- your responses Whip 
are still symptomatic of NASA style public press release problems, 
and any of the space show entities involved in the Ceres or Pluto missions for that matter.

Also don't lump Miss Emily into your dummy dust corrosion.
She is being given a chance to come clean.

Hmm2 ... well that may sound a bit risque, but you know what I mean.

Smoke

-------------------

Note that Lincoln still cannot give a straight answer to a straight question.
Protect your ass Lincoln.
Here comes the empty skull.
Your head must hurt pretty bad when you explore your butt in ostrich head syndrome.

Back to Deo's suggestion:
Quote:Why is heating from heavy element radio-isotopes in the core not considered a possibility 
fo

bits-n-pieces
http://space.io9.com/heres-the-science-s...1718618581
Quote:A geologically active Pluto breaks our theories of activity on icy worlds. 

We thought the only way to get that kind of geological activity was tidal massage 
from a friendly neighbourhood gas giant. Nonono

The closest Pluto has is Charon, its largest moon. 
Charon lacks the gravitational influence to jerk around Pluto’s interior enough
 to spur activity both because of its small size and because it is tidally locked. 
Being tidally locked means the two worlds always face each other 
as they dance around their mutual center of mass, minimizing tidal stresses.

That leaves rethinking how thermodynamics apply at the dwarf planet Whip 
Pluto should be too cold to be active, but it isn’t. 
The best options for revising our theories are that its initial heat source lasted longer than anticipated 
through a yet-to-be-described process, Hi
that heat was stored, 
or that the heat is used more efficiently. 

If Pluto is made of the normal mix of silicate minerals for a rocky world in our solar system, 
then we’d expect that it’s radioactive elements 
have decayed enough to no longer be a significant heating source. 

It’s likely that Pluto and Charon collided in the past, 
the stability, circularity, and tidal equilibrium of their orbits indicate any collisions were a long time ago, 
so that isn’t a recent heat source either. 

But, there could be a loophole: 
the heat of impact could have created a subsurface ocean. 
Once a subsurface ocean forms on an icy world, 
it’s likely to stick around a long time due to a convenient feedback loop. 
Freezing increases the concentration of ammonia, 
a natural antifreeze that inhibits further freezing. 

A subsurface ocean could store a lot of heat, possibly even driving icy plate tectonics. 
This idea was predicted by astrophysicists Amy Barr Mlinar and Geoffrey Collins, 
who are hopping we find any evidence of ancient tectonic features on Pluto or Charon 
to support their theory of an impact-generated subsurface ocean.

Or, there is the internal source of heat as well that has beeen unaccounted for,
in a core that has more metal and heat than expected.

Both that possible heat source and the "subsurface ocean feedback loop" 
could account in tandem for the surface changes.

And perhaps there are just a lot more metals than expected in Pluto, 
and near the surface.
.... as the Carbon Monoxide plains of Pluto remain unexplained.

that is why I mentioned metals --- gold and platimun were teasers as pleasers. 
Tossing a guess into the hat, 
maybe the CO zone is underlayed by significant metal deposits, especially towards the center.

The pattern is to compare Triton to Pluto.
http://news.discovery.com/space/astronom...nt-mix.htm

Quote:... the various ices on the surface of Triton and discovered something peculiar.
 The different types of ice do not mix and they appear to be distributed separately, 
varying in concentration during the seasons.

“The expectation is that nitrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide should all go together,” 

said Will Grundy, a Lowell Observatory planetary scientist and lead author of the paper.
 “They are volatile enough to move around even on the stately seasonal pace of Triton time scales.

What we’ve observed, however, is that carbon monoxide and nitrogen do go together nicely,
but methane does it's own thing.

Well that doesn't get us too far, but it is something.
No, Pluto is not just an ice dwarf.
That is why the "geophysicists are going back to the drawing boards". 

... supply an unusual or unexpected heat source .... subsurface ocean ... micro organisms that use CO ...

if it is metals that are part of the equation with the CO bulge in the plains of Pluto
it would likely be iron, 
and that would also accompany the microorganisms activities if they exist.

if methane is inclusive
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18575848

adsorption of CO on metals
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...2807001057

http://www.ibp.ethz.ch/research/environm...l_2006.pdf

Yes, I am throwing the kitchen sink at it to a degree, tossing in ideas and possibilities.

Sure beats Lincoln's dummy dust ostrich head syndrome doesn't it?

This is where we really could use somebody like Emily or other planetary geologist team members
for advice and input.
but then ... on the Pluto mission the standard disclaimers resurface, and no doubt infect the Ceres mission

Quote:we are in the most preliminary stages of our investigations. Doh

We are still entertaining the widest range of hypotheses.  Gangup

We are acutely aware that jumping to conclusions [Image: whip.gif] ... leads to great peril."

you don't have to:
"jump to a conclusion"  Naughty
and imperil Uhoh your fragile asses,
just say something, 
and don't be a pack of crybabies without a rattle to shake.

Amazing, Alemos gets pummeled by everyone for doing his best and EA posts all kind of garbage, copied the post I amde and made it look like he was the one posting the article about what is behind Pluto and nothing is said about it? wow just wow
Seek and ye shall find. JESUS
------------------------------------------
I am a recovering vegetarian   Hi
Alemos does his best to jump to a wrong conclusion and be stubborn about it.
Nobody here has anything against him.

EA did what?
Did you post it in here in the main pluto thread?
You sure he didn't perhaps read the same article and just post it without seeing yours?

I mean, if every article about the mission or something it finds gets its own thread we'll be really fragmented
that's why i been putting all related here.

Mayito,
I saw your article posted on the ion tail.
I don't see anything that special in that regard about the ion tail of Pluto, and just absorbed the info.
I didn't post about that ion tail on your offering, or EA's.
You are over reacting, and he isn't playing you into that,
it is solely by your own reaction alone.

The ion tail is peanut shells at the picnic on Pluto.

Not only that, but he actually gave you credit in his own way.
And you cannot see that, and that he just quoted a passage from your post offering.
I do not see in any way where he tried to upstage you.

quote EA 
Quote:Yep Mayito <------
itza nice evidential infographical piece of tail... Eye On Wise
(ionwise that is...)

He used your offering of the ion tail of Pluto, 
to play a mild and well worded joke with Miss Emily's fine and dandy butt cakes in her tight jeans.

Alemos does his best?
You have to be kidding me man.
Are you blind?
You believe that the compression artifacts are real surface characteristics?
If that is his best, it is below below. 
It is limbo in Limbo.
Instead of looking for validation in your personal ego conflict with EA, 
perhaps be patient and find a way to play it with perseverance rather displaying than a hissy fit.

Also, I don't see EA posting "garbage".
I don't see you do that either, but in this case you are being a crybaby, and it is garbage.

What do you think about the Carbon Monoxide plains of Pluto?
Got anything to offer there?
Or do you want Alemos to post images of his fantasies full of arrows in that regard?

That was lame.

back to business.

Back to Deo's suggestion:
Quote: Wrote:Why is heating from heavy element radio-isotopes in the core not considered a possibility 
fo

from the text links:

Quote:That leaves rethinking how thermodynamics apply at the dwarf planet [Image: whip.gif] 
Pluto should be too cold to be active, but it isn’t. 
The best options for revising our theories are that its initial heat source lasted longer than anticipated 
through a yet-to-be-described process, [Image: hi.gif] 
that heat was stored, 
or that the heat is used more efficiently. 

through a yet-to-be-described process, [Image: hi.gif]

The CO anomaly on Pluto is one Plinko Chip on the Price is Right game.

----------------

Pluto, isn't at all what they thought it was.
Pluto is the whole bag of Plinko Chip puzzles,
for the scientists to imperil their fragile back sides with, in {in}conclusive determinations.

Alan Stern must be heartbroken over missing the opportunity of all our lifetimes with Pluto imaging.

The probe passed on the grand prize on the Plinko Chip game board,
and flashed right on out of the area in the Fly  Hi Bye,
for the Kuiper belt of ice clods in chaos Bump Whip
hiding behind door number two Naughty  in deep space. 

I do believe however, that they will find just as good of surprises out there,
as they did on the Fly  Doh Bye on Worship Pluto,
but
they would have gotten far more overall information
out of a series of Worship Pluto orbits and resultant science investigations.
unless
they are looking for something else out there ...
enter
Dr. P and Planet X  Holycowsmile 

Rofl