Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
We are now thehiddenmission.com!
You may not have noticed, because I have the site redirected so we land here, but
look up at the addy bar...

www.thehiddenmission.com/forum

Took a little doing and the loss of a few handfuls of hair- as well as losing about a month worth of recent posts 
but we are now free of the stuttering and non loading of our previous hosts service.
I had thought they had fixed the poor performance due to the site acting better recently, and then again we have the same thing occurring once more, loading stalls, timeouts, ad naseum ... pisses me off

New server says they don't have that problem, and so far everything seems to be working on that end

On our end however- this DB is almost 2 gig, and moving it about can cause little chunks to get missing apparently,
like the most recent content, which I didn't have backed up.. because I only back up once a month, and it's been about a month.
So I had to restore it using the most recent backup
meh, too bad, this ain't a pay service anyway, and I do the best I can
I don't think we lost anything of any outstanding significance other than perhaps the Nazca thread and a couple others, which we can simply recover.

Dance016
On a satellite I ride. Nothing down below can hide.
btw, we almost lost the entire thing last night.

the good new is I finally found the DB error that has been crippling the forum and making every upgrade or migration a tormenting living hell for me for 5 years now.
the bad news is we had to lose the last month's posts and topics (pretty much since May 11th, when we switched from SMF forums) before I saw the glitch

reload your avatars, this one's going to be here for a while.

Dammit, that means I need to redo the smilies and all that... argghhh
okay! smilies all back in , and what Avatars I had for you guys are also restored.

That was entirely easy.

wasn't expecting that, lol
The new forum is difficult to find:
there is a blank in the redirection url: http://thehiddenmission.com/forum/%20index.php from Keithlaney.net
what results in an 404 error.
http://thehiddenmission.com/THMF is redirected to http://thehiddenmission.com/forum/%20
which has an obsolet blank and missing index.php or just an obsolet blank:
http://thehiddenmission.com/forum works too
thanks for telling me, I'll look into that
Again the redirection has a blank in the url.
test test ... 12  123

Spacecraft

Alien2

Cool
WELL, if they're not smart enough to figure it out I'm not sure they need to be here, lol

redirect works fine for me. clear your browsing history.
testing, testing 1..2..3.. Roger ! Over! beep

TestingTestingOnetwothreeRogerOverbeep (!!!)

bssssskkkkrrchhhhhzzzzfup

LOLVL

(from KeitLaney.net itt ds nod worxfump)

No - You're right: With another browser it works very well.

Food-smiley-004
you know, I am going to have to eventually deal with the issue of the forum's database size, we are topping out at nearly 1700 mb, and it is akin to a hoarder's house.

which is why it gives such a hard time being moved, or backed up properly, or being integrated with newer softwares etc.

I know it might have seemed flawless other than a couple days down and missing a couple weeks stuff, but in reality there was a three day battle with little sleep and plenty of frustration on my part. Don't think it wasn't in my mind to just say fuck it and start with a brand new empty, but then now I read back through the years worth of material here and am glad I didn't.
I guess i could start going through and culling the non-important posts and threads, or perhaps archive it and leave it all online as read only while we start filling up a fresh DB.
not sure what to do yet, but I know something must be done. I do know I can't keep doing this biannual (sometimes eve more frequent) battle of the board every time it needs an update or move- for sure
I know that and appreciate it and i am afraid my attachments were the reason for it.
Perhaps use a second DB for read-only threads, or a second DB for a second shadow site
and switch some time between them or somethinng else ....
nah man you didn't hurt anything, it was my backup copy that failed, so I had to revert to last months backup
A stable source is an able force of watchdogs.

I thank you K.L.

First Time / Zep Tepi the  THM dot com.

We bark up the Rite Tree.

Excuse my brutal amateur guitaring... Band

Rise of the Anomalists.
Along the vines of the Vineyard.
With a forked tongue the snake singsss...
Keith,

Thank you for all the work you have done to keep this forum alive and running well.

Must have been a nightmare for a bit.

Are you still working on the software?

Every time I access the Forum now, I have to log in.

Guests cannot just read the posts...

If that's how you have it set up now, that's ok.

Just didn't know if you knew that or not.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.<br />Aldous Huxley
(06-13-2015, 12:36 PM)alemos Wrote: Keith,

Thank you for all the work you have done to keep this forum alive and running well.

Must have been a nightmare for a bit.

Are you still working on the software?

Every time I access the Forum now, I have to log in.

Guests cannot just read the posts...

If that's how you have it set up now, that's ok.

Just didn't know if you knew that or not.

yep it's set that way on purpose. once most the active members have logged on I'll reset it back to open read. This is to avoid password conversion difficulties
all of us have pretty much logged on since the move, so no reason to force log in anymore.
Might as well let the guests at least read.

Cheers
(06-10-2015, 09:09 AM)Keith Wrote: you know, I am going to have to eventually deal with the issue of the forum's database size, we are topping out at nearly 1700 mb, and it is akin to a hoarder's house.

which is why it gives such a hard time being moved, or backed up properly, or being integrated with newer softwares etc.

I know it might have seemed flawless other than a couple days down and missing a couple weeks stuff, but in reality there was a three day battle with little sleep and plenty of frustration on my part. Don't think it wasn't in my mind to just say fuck it and start with a brand new empty, but then now I read back through the years worth of material here and am glad I didn't.  
I guess i could start going through and culling the non-important posts and threads, or perhaps archive it and leave it all online as read only while we start filling up a fresh DB.
not sure what to do yet, but I know something must be done. I do know I can't keep doing this biannual (sometimes eve more frequent) battle of the board every time it needs an update or move- for sure

Keith the only problem we have is that everytime EA posts he consumes half of your bandwidth, so maybe we need to restric EA's posting to once a month?  Holycowsmile   Hi Slap2 Slap2 Slap2 Smile
Seek and ye shall find. JESUS
------------------------------------------
I am a recovering vegetarian   Hi
according to my puter
the sever was down a couple hours ago?
Never invite a Yoda to a frog leg dinner.
Go ahead invite Yoda to a Frog leg dinner
mighta been, or at least somewhere along the line to it was
I told you EA will crash the site, but does anyone listen to me? NOOOOO, of course NOOOO, dont cry when the site crashes down...... ;)
Seek and ye shall find. JESUS
------------------------------------------
I am a recovering vegetarian   Hi
btw, if the site's been slow the last few hours it is because of server upgrades
(I'd already put in a ticket, was slow for me and giving sql errors)
Blast!
I'm sure glad you didn't take us back to a fresh start line, ten years worth of documented living would have gone down the drain.

The images and research of many brought to nothing?
Wow!

Thanks for all your efforts to make sure it didn't have to happen.
So, the words Autumn and Fall are not to be capitalized?
They are in my world!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new?"It has been already, in the ages before us. Ecc 1: 9-10
http://keithlaney.net has been hacked

how do you know, did you go there and have problems?
... might just be a temporary maintenance shutdown.

Well, something isn't working right.
I've got nothing but long wait states and freezing with
"Love This New Band" thread,
and long waits in any thread EA is in.
Malwarebytes and CCleaner do nothing at this end.
If I go to the "Love This New Band " thread,
clicking last post, the thread starts at the top
and then just sits there until I click the bottom scroll down key,
at which point I get a message about a too long running script
with a "stop script button". Click it and it again goes to top of thread
and the cycle repeats. If I do the above a few more times
the thread may/or not go properly to the last message as per normal.
And similar things still happen with threads with EA posts.
I'll go through internet settings, look at java settings, etc. yet again......
Kalter,

Have you ever HOSTED your own site?  Just for information purposes I am wondering.

Be GLAD that things work, though they may be "slow" for you at times especially with big bandwidth files such as video and HiRes images, links to other sites requires extra processing time for not only YOUR computer, but also for the SITES' Host computer.

Having had several sites, and LOST them due to HostMonster Cluster Fuck screwing me,  I could NOT have done a Joomla site without Steve's help and a LOT of studying and "maintenance" duties that REQUIRED for keeping a site up and going at all.

I am STILL trying to get just ONE of my 7 domains working again through TWO companies which is very confusing and frustrating...and also getting expensive.

Do you keep ALL your installs up-to-date Java Script, Adobe Air, how about Adobe Flash which some YouTube uses too, or some other player like a FLV Player, MP4, etc.

If your browser's own subsystem and extensions are not up to date you're not only going to get 'glitches' but are open to hackers.

So please, from someone who knows how difficult running a site is and expensive, time consuming, etc ---

QUIT BITCHING !!!   Gangup 

Bob... Ninja Reefer
"The Morning Light, No sensation to compare to this, suspended animation, state of bliss, I keep my eyes on the circling sky, tongue tied and twisted just and Earth Bound Martian I" Learning to Fly Pink Floyd [Video: https://vimeo.com/144891474]
I run into problems with posts every once in a while
post god run amuck ?
Never invite a Yoda to a frog leg dinner.
Go ahead invite Yoda to a Frog leg dinner
(gluuurgh...) Nooo...sure...it's all anecdotal
and may/or not indicate a form of intelligence
a la Colossus, The Forbin Project...